Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missed steel and given point

ofcrfs242

Score him with a miss. In the event of your findings about the final match results- I would mention to the Match Director that he was awarded the points, even though he told the RO to score him with the miss. Typical local match complacency IMHO. <_<

It looks to me that there was not a well-trained certified RO on that planet. At some point, someone either touched the popper or let the next shooter shoot it down. Failing to give the shooter a calibration and disturbing the popper means you have to give the shooter a reshoot (you don't give him the popper hit for free). I'm surprised no one at the range pointed this out.

If it's any consolation, once the RO on the stage made his mistake, and once any other person touched or shot the popper, your rival should have been given a reshoot and might have won the stage anyway.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't give away hits because that's unfair to other shooters.

2. Don't compound one scoring mistake by letting it slide instead of applying the propper remedy (in this case a reshoot).

Reshoots, either mandatory or at the shooter's option, are a last resort, but they must be used when they are the only fair remedy.

Richard Schennberg

Well...sorta:

Appendix C1 6.c.

The popper is left standing and the competitor challenges the calibration. In this case, the popper and the surrounding area on which it stands must not be touched or interfered with by any person. If a match official violates this rule, the competitor must reshoot the course of fire. If the competitor or any other person violates this rule, the popper will be scored as a miss and the rest of the course of fire will be scored “as shot”

I guess I should have read the rule rather than relying on memory.

In this case I suppose that when the RO starts the next shooter without asking the RM (MD for a small match) to do a calibration, he is causing the popper to be disturbed, so I would still suggest a reshoot once it gets to that point.

Richard

I don't know that it would apply in this case. The first competitor that hit it low asked for calibration. The second competitor that hit it low never asked for a calibration just whined that he hit it and it would not be right to give him a miss for it.