Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

if 6in is great, what about 4in ??

Tokarev

Nobody here has got a shooting buddy who's running an STI Tactical 4.15"?

Tokarev,

I broke out your 4in talk from the 6in talk...and now it seems we got drifted back to the 6in talk. :unsure:

I don't know anything about the reliability of the STI Tactical. I have shoot quite a bit of competition with a G17 and a G22...which is about the barrel length and sight radius that you are talking about. While my usually go to games rig is a G34 or G35 (5in), I would have no problem taking a 4in gun to the Steel Challenge or the USPSA Production Nationals. I would not feel I was at an equipment disadvantage. In IDPA...the targets are even closer.

I have a single stack project (Commander length slide in 40) that I need to build one of these years. My thoughts were that it is a great fit for ESP.

Hey DP-

Check out this photo -- this may be the ticket to the perfect IPCS standard gun, with longer barrel and sight radius:

http://www.jorgeballesteros.net/Archivo/Fo...SCN2542_JPG.htm

I copied the above picture from this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...25&start=25

It shows Jorge Ballesteros shooting his 5" slide IPSC standard gun. You can see that the barrel is slightly longer than the slide, and the guide rod slightly longer still. Jorge says in that same thread:

hi guys,

sandro sent me this link, its very interesting topic. The gun i was shooting spanish and italian nationals is a home made gun, my dad and i were developing and testing some combinations. Most of you know that im mainly an Open shooter, and i took standard like a true challenge. Its really hard and takes lot of training and time to get the same level in both divisions. I think that chris t. knows what im talking about. For that reason, i needed to have a standard gun similar to my SV Open Gun. In Open im using a IMM 5" with 6 round holes and 4 ports compensator, and thats the fastest gun i ever tried. What we made is change the slide. I putted my 5" slide to my standard gun and we made the sight tracker for the hibrid barrel. It really works, the recoil was much faster, but i still miss something, the gun was to light. We added a long tunsteng guide rod with a steel piece screwed in the top end. That was the key! the perfect combination for me. We also cutted the rear bomar sights to make it thiner, i didnt like that black screen, it hides too much for target transitions.

For me, i choose sight tracked without any doubt, its always less weight for the slide, and allows you faster recoil control cause you can see the frontsight all the time. I dont know why my gun could be illegal for limited....its a 5" factory slide.

About Shooter Vs Gun, we are agree that shooter is 95-99% if the gun works. But, at top level, the quality of your machine really matters. if somebody there watch F1, Why Fernando Alonso change Renault to Mercedes-Mclaren been still World Champion?

take care

jorge

DVC

Edited by joker22

Why not shoot a 6" gun that weighs and balances like a commander? 2 extra inches of sight radius with the same weight and balance? How about a 6" gun that weighs less than a commander? Why give up sight radius to have quicker handling when you don't have to? I really like commanders, I have a couple that are fantastic, but you won't see me dragging one out at an IPSC match when I have a 5" gun to shoot. If I have a 6" gun to shoot you won't see me with a 5" gun either.

Shoot a light 6" against a commander, won't take long at all to see the direction you should go.