Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 325PD

twister

Hi Dave,

I know there was at least one guy on here awhile back that was using a 325PD for IDPA competition, but that was back when you could use a moon-clip gun and minor loads. You should know that 325s have a reputation for having fairly snappy recoil. For competition use, pretty much everybody shooting a wheelgun is using a steel frame gun. For personal defense, a 325 might be a pretty good option.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dave, Ive had one now for a little over a month, put about 400 rounds through it. Not a bad gun, it's a 2nd owner gun now, the first guy tried it with some Black Talons in it, he gave me the rest of the box of ammo. It was way to much for the guy and his hand. I've been playing with it using about 145-155 pf and it's a fun little gun for that. I just wanted it for a backup gun for IDPA should my 4" 625 crap out me at a match. I just switched out the TI cylinder for a stainless non flutted one and I will be shooting it a little this weekend with the remainder of my area 2 loads to get the brass back...

I wasn't sure it I was going to like it, but it's really not a bad gun, easier than those j frame 357's out there.

mike sousa

I have a 2" version, and have shot it in a couple of IDPA matches just for giggles. It's an excellent carry gun, but it's not something I'd want to shoot a lot in competion. "Fairly snappy" doesn't begin to describe this gun with major loads. I shot around 100 rounds in the last match, the last stage being an IPSC classifier shot by IDPA standards. 2 targets@around 7 YDS, 5 shots, tac load, and 5 shots. Then repeat on next two targets. I did OK that Saturday, but I didn't get the feeling back in my hand until Thursday. By the way everybody there that day shot at least a cyl through it, and I don't think anybody else wanted to try shooting a match with it.

Hi Dave,

I know there was at least one guy on here awhile back that was using a 325PD for IDPA competition, but that was back when you could use a moon-clip gun and minor loads. You should know that 325s have a reputation for having fairly snappy recoil. For competition use, pretty much everybody shooting a wheelgun is using a steel frame gun. For personal defense, a 325 might be a pretty good option.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I thought this would be the best revolver ever for IDPA. I bought one, set it up with good gear and they changed the power Factor. Being the recoil whore I am, I shot it anyway. Brought it to a New England Regional championship.

By the end of the match, the end shake was so bad the cylinder would not turn. I fixed it, and sold it. I told the guy of my experience but he wasn't [planning to shoot it much so he was OK with it.

They seem to be a good carry gun, but 170PF loads beat the crap out of them.

Hey guys,

At this point in time, I can"t recommend using the Scandium framed guns for competiton. The material is essentially Aluminum and doesn't do well with impact or abrasion- both of which are present in our sport. Even though Smith has a great warranty service, I can't see sending in a gun every season for frame replacement...

For a carry gun which isn't going to get shot alot, they are ok, but as stated, a heavy diet of 165+ pf loads will destroy the gun within a season.

Edited by Randy Lee

Hey guys,

At this point in time, I can"t recommend using the Scandium framed guns for competiton. The material is essentially Aluminum and doesn't do well with impact or abrasion- both of which are present in our sport. Even though Smith has a great warranty service, I can't see sending in a gun every season for frame replacement...

For a carry gun which isn't going to get shot alot, they are ok, but as stated, a heavy diet of 165+ pf loads will destroy the gun within a season.

Wow...I'm being accused of making major PF....kinda neat for a change. Besides the gun, i doubt I'd last a season of nothing but 165pf...

michaels

One season? S&W is making a revolver that won't last A SINGLE SEASON!? Is that what the market really wants? Have they ever considered making revolvers out of real steel and then heat treating them and assembling them properly? I fear the future is very bleak.

Dave Sinko

Hey guys,

Wow...I'm being accused of making major PF....kinda neat for a change. Besides the gun, i doubt I'd last a season of nothing but 165pf...

michaels

That's what your 25-2 will be for! :cheers:

One season? S&W is making a revolver that won't last A SINGLE SEASON!? Is that what the market really wants? Have they ever considered making revolvers out of real steel and then heat treating them and assembling them properly? I fear the future is very bleak.

Dave Sinko

The 325PD is not meant or marketed as a competition hand gun. It is designed for carry and occasional shooting. For that it will be just fine.

Regards,

That's what your 25-2 will be for! :cheers:

In time for the 2008 season? that would be so kewl

Quit pressuring the artiste!!

He will do no gun....before its time.

no pressure, the last couple of guns have all been something a little different, not run of the mill for the master...I voted in favor of stem cell research, not for me, but should we be able to clone a person, my first vote goes for Randy. Imagine having about 5 of them turning out guns....

and Mike, I had dinner with Sam's football coach, he had a -lot- to say about Sam's dad....

mike sousa