Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which would you recommend?

bagman

I've narrowed my search on the two models below. Which would you recommend? I'm new to the sport and am buying myself a birthday gift. Also, I have found a couple of places with decent pricing. $689 for the JM and $660 for the 5" both with shipping included in the price. Is the price about right?

Thanks.

Model 625-JM 4" 45ACP

This is a S&W Model: 625 JM

Caliber: .45ACP, Capacity: 6 Rounds, Barrel Length: 4", Front Sight: Gold Bead Black Patridge, Rear Sight: Adjustable, Grip: Wood Grips, Frame: Large, Finish: Matte Bead Blast

Overall Length: 9 3/8", Material: Stainless Steel

Model 625 5" 45ACP

(SKU #160927)

This is a S&W Model: 625

Caliber: .45ACP, Capacity: 6 Rounds, Barrel Length: 5", Front Sight: Patridge Front, Rear Sight: Adjustable, Grip: Rubber Grips, Frame: Large, Finish: Matte, Overall Length: 10 3/8"

Material: Stainless Steel

I am not sure about the prices, but you can go to www.gunsamerica.com and find the listed revolvers for sale and compare the price.

If you are going to shoot any steel matches you may consider a seven or eight shot revolver. I shot a steel match today and there were three revolver shooters on my squad. One had a six shooter and he ran dry a couple of times. I would check the rules of the sport you are going to compete in and use that as a guide for my purchase.

Good Luck, Buddy

Depends on which organizaton (idpa ,uspsa ,icore) you want to shoot in. The 4" is legal in all, but the 5" is only good in icore and uspsa. The 5" has got a better sight radius for shooting further out targets, but what it really comes down to is WHICH ONE YOU LIKE THE BEST.Pick the one that makes you giggle the most and shoot the crap out of it. :goof: Good luck with your choice .:cheers:

p.s. Gunbroker has a bunch listed right now LINKY TO GB

Scott

Depends on what you are going to shoot.

I prefer the 5" gun for USPSA/IPSC. I have and used a 4" gun for a little while but I got a 5" and never looked back.

I also enjoy it for steel but you are at a disadvantage. You only have 6 shots and major loads are not required for steel. I shoot steel for USPSA practice so I shoot my major loads.

I don't shoot IDPA but I know you have to use a 4" gun for that.

For now I just want to purchase a 625 to practice with. Next spring I'll decided what route to take in regards to which circuit.. In a past post the 625 came highly recommended, and after my extensive research; I concur. My main objective with this post was to gather advice from those familiar with this gun.

As a new member, please let me know if I have this posted in the wrong forum section.

Thank you.

This past season I ran 7,000 rounds through my 625. My primary shooting sport is IDPA.. but I shoot in a (and win) number of major USPSA matches too and think that I would suggest buying a "standard" 625 in 4" then having a rework done on the gun by Gary Cuttitta or Carmoney and move on. The JM guns are not worth any extra price .. since they generally have to be re-worked anyway.

The 4" gun is "legal" in all the major shooting sports.. and if you ask me the difference between a 5" and a 4" is very very small... if not why did I win my class and one HOA in USPSA revolver this year shooting the 4 inch??????

It's the driver not the car my friend :D

This past season I ran 7,000 rounds through my 625. My primary shooting sport is IDPA.. but I shoot in a (and win) number of major USPSA matches too and think that I would suggest buying a "standard" 625 in 4" then having a rework done on the gun by Gary Cuttitta or Carmoney and move on. The JM guns are not worth any extra price .. since they generally have to be re-worked anyway.

The 4" gun is "legal" in all the major shooting sports.. and if you ask me the difference between a 5" and a 4" is very very small... if not why did I win my class and one HOA in USPSA revolver this year shooting the 4 inch??????

It's the driver not the car my friend :D

Thanks MS

Aside from the JM model (the more expensive one) I did not see the 625 offered in a 4". Do they? If so where can I find one?

Aside from the JM model (the more expensive one) I did not see the 625 offered in a 4". Do they? If so where can I find one?

I noticed the other day they don't list the standard 4" gun any longer. I reckon that makes mine a collectors item. And "rare" on the auction sites. :rolleyes:

Look around you can probably find a used one or a NOS one.