Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Modifications for/in Production

Dave Gundry

Hey guys, picking up a CZ SP-01 tomorrow :D

Looking on the USPSA list of approved guns, I see that the SP-01 Shadow is not listed. So, wouldn't this make Angus's hammer illegal, as it is not OFM equipment on any approved gun?

Also curious if the extended mag release and deleting the firing pin block are legal mods...

I've already got the hammer, a BT DOH, FPB delete spacer and a main spring assortment coming from Angus. Forgot to order up an assortment of recoil springs :angry2:

I plan on cleaning it up, heading to the range to put a few hundred through the pipe, and then some cleaning, detail strip and maybe some polishing if all went well.

Also, I've read that the hammer alters the timing of the action a bit - anybody know if it advances or retards the SA?

Mag question - will the rubber base pads fit on the Mecgar 16 rounders?

Darn CZShooters and CZforum haven't sent me a confirmation email yet :angry2:

Thanks for any input :cheers:

The parts are offered by CZ as a factory standard manufactured for their line of guns..

on an equipment sheet that was shown to IPSC and USPSA the parts are legal based on this.

All offered component variants for the SP-01 „SHADOW“ pistol are interchangeable standard parts as manufactured for, and used for the CZ pistol lines (75/85, 75 B, SP-01, P-01, 85 Combat

the SP01 has been in competition for about two years now..and has stood the test of scrutiny at every big match. The only exception is that an SP01 Shadow is not approved for USPSA and a Custom Shop SP01 is not approved for IPSC.

Sweet, thanks. That's what I thought, as there seem to be a lot of these mods floating around that were surely making their way into USPSA...

The only exception is that an SP01 Shadow is not approved for USPSA and a Custom Shop SP01 is not approved for IPSC.

:blink: I thought the "Shadow" became the "Custom Shop" SP-01...

CZ-USA..came out with the custom version which was called initially the shadow..same time CZUB came out with a production version called the shadow..was very confusing for IPSC and USPSA what to approve..as the US version had some customization as compared to the IPSC rules..

so CZ USA changed its version to the SP-01 custom shop where all the mods are legal under USPSA rules..CZ UB has the factory made Shadow..which has a lot of features that the custom shop version has..but meets IPSC rules.

I have two Matt Mink guns (SP-01) and they have the assorted mods you mentioned (not all). As far as I can tell the mods are legal (I'm sure Matt wouldn't do anything that wasn't). I don't have an extended mag release though. Dunno about the mag pads. I use the standard factory ones. Its a great Production gun.

The rubber pads will fit the Mecgar mags with a little bit of dremel work.

Dremeling the pad or the base plates of the Mecgar's? I won't have any of the Mecgar's to check out for a while.

You have to dremmel the rails of the mag a little at a time to fit the grove of the pad. On the pad, you have to dremmel the inside corners a little bit as they are kind of squared off and the corners of the mag are more rounded. A small round bit worked for me. Also, the retainer plate on the Mecgar spring needs to be ground down by about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch on the length in order for the retainer plate "button" to line up with the hole in the rubber base pad.

Thanks for the info Toddrod :cheers:

Boy this thing is kind of a PITA to work on compared to the Witness's... Too many staked pins instead of either roll pins or captive designs. I was hoping to get away from that crap when I got rid of my 1911 :rolleyes:

Trigger was way too ugly out of the box, so I already started having fun. Polished all the contact surfaces, tossed in the custom shop hammer, deleted the FPB, and swapped in a 15lb mainspring.

A few thoughts on these parts:

Hammer - brought sear engagement down from ~.033" to .010" (give or take a few thou on each). Kinda scary to only have ~33% engagement. Do most folks deepen their hammer hooks or let er rip? Brought my SA pull down to 3lbs, which is a tad bit lighter than I like, but I'll see what I think after I hit the range.

FPB delete spacer - what a joke. Gap = .115", original lever = .097", replacement spacer = .085". On top of the spacer being a bit short, it doesn't even seem like it's needed - the sear is kept from sliding laterally by the sear housing (where the sear contacts the hammer) anyway.

Polishing the underside of the trigger - the grooves where the trigger bar lifter springs ride - has anyone experimented with making these flat? They are super rough on my gun and I don't have the correct size (i.e. super tiny) round file - but it seems that the grooves aren't necessary anyway... Anyone know?

the grooves do help keep that lifter spring in place..no issues with the spring or that part of the trigger bar..

my hooks are slightly deeper than what you have..my SA breaks just under 2#.

haven't seen that spacer..I just had a PreB sear fitted instead..other choice would be to cut off the lower leg of the lifter.

the out of the box CZ trigger is pretty heavy..the hammer hooks have a negative angle so the hammer cams in SA, the hammer spring is too heavy and the recoil spring is crazy.

with about 20 minutes with some stones and paper and some springs..you can greatly improve trigger feel.

Yup - I think I'll try my hand at fixing this setup.

I'll have to do the roll pin mod for the trigger pivot, and I may try some different trigger return springs (the take up is way too stiff - leading to a very vague feeling SA break) and I'll have to pick up a decent file to fix those grooves in the trigger bar. Maybe after that I'll play with deepening the hammer engagement... Gotta do some live fire testing on Sunday :D Maybe I'll sneak out of work early tomorrow and try to catch some daylight for pre-test-test :D

Stuart - did you install the pre-B sear? I take it that's the Miossi part? If so, how was the sear angle out of the box (did it need stoning)?

Acutually had a pre B sear in my parts box..

of the guns I have..one Matt did with an 85C sear..and I did one with a preB sear..the others I have left the FPB in and played with adjusting the engagement of the lifter and polished the heck out of the FPB.

on the one I played with..the angle was fine..I cut a secondary angle about a 1/3 for the release..and slightly deepened the hooks on the comp hammer.

the trigger springs are the same..just bend them to lessen the pressure on the return..on the guns I have lessened the pressure on the spring. they have not broken..but I have been pretty lucky and have not broken a trigger spring yet.

The pre-test-test went fine. Only 2 chambering issues when loading the first round (only loaded the mags to 10 rounds).

I forgot to add - mine already had the breach face broken from the factory and the ejector cut at an angle, so it appears CZ was listening to some of the issues you guys were having in the past.

Accuracy was decent, but this is my first gun with night sights instead of target sights or Heine's. I think I'll pick up some LPA SPR's soon.

For a heavy gun, it still feels like it recoils a bit excessively - I'll try some different recoil springs.

The SA didn't seem vague during live fire, so I may leave that alone. With the 15lb main, I get an average of 9lb 3oz DA and 3lb 2oz SA. With the 13lb, I get 8lb 1oz DA and 3lb 2oz SA. I didn't do any live fire with the 13 though. I'll try it out today.

I would like to decrease the DA pull a bit more, if possible, but not sure how to go about it. Kinda hard to do without running into light stirkes I'd think...

The pre-test-test went fine. Only 2 chambering issues when loading the first round (only loaded the mags to 10 rounds).

I would like to decrease the DA pull a bit more, if possible, but not sure how to go about it. Kinda hard to do without running into light stirkes I'd think...

A switch to a reliable primer brand will prevent any slight strikes. I WAS using Federal but they are expensive and hard to find. Using Wolf now - and they are as reliable as Federal. This allowed the use of a very light hammer spring and a resulting very light DA.