Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need info for my 25-2 project

sci

I am working on a 25-2 for my next year's USPSA revolver. The 6-1/2" barrel might help. After scaring my wife, grinding on the hammer and trigger, I've run into a road block. Does anyone know what thread the scope mounting holes on the newer Smiths are? I've gone through my Ace super set of taps and nothing matches. I took one of the screws to the fastener store and they sold me a metric tap that they said was right, but it clearly isn't when I put it in my 625 holes. It seems to be a No. 6 screw, but a strange thread pitch. So if someone knows what the correct size is, I'll order one from Brownell's.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

I'm finding a 25-2 to be tempting. Are the barrels on these .451-.452 and just the cyl throats run between large and huge (.456-.458) or are the barrels big (.454?) also? Do they give decent accuracy with cast or coated (not jacketed) bullets? I want another 45acp revo so I can dedicate one to bullseye shooting with a red dot. My 625 is bullseye accurate, a 6 or 6 1/2 25-2 would be neat for uspsa but not if it shoots worse than I do. How do your 25-2's work out? Tom

Hi Steve

your 25-2 has entered its final stage here at cheetah-tech

Ti - cylinder complete

ball detent complete

internal trigger stop complete

champher blued cylinder complete

action job complete.

all that,s left is to test fire

you may not get this gun back

looks nices

feels nice with the balance of weight.

I think this is a new land speed record on completing a gun

Gary

Hi Steve

your 25-2 has entered its final stage here at cheetah-tech

Ti - cylinder complete

ball detent complete

internal trigger stop complete

champher blued cylinder complete

action job complete.

all that,s left is to test fire

you may not get this gun back

looks nices

feels nice with the balance of weight.

I think this is a new land speed record on completing a gun

Gary

wow that was fast guess i better plan a trip north

see ya soon

Steve

Now all i have left to do is plug up the apple corer and send the cylinder asslmy off for coating

Edited by sci

Do they give decent accuracy with cast or coated (not jacketed) bullets?

25-2s are well-known for shooting pretty well with jacketed bullets, and pretty poorly with cast bullets. I have experienced this personally with three different guns, and can think of several shooting friends with 25-2s who have found this also. My old 25-2 will literally spit cast bullets sideways, with lots of keyholing evident on the targets. (It does fine with Rainier 230-gr. plated bullets, however.)

Some shooters have used cast bullets sized .453" and .454" more succesfully in their 25-2s. One old trick was to take unsized hard-cast bullets straight from the quenching bucket, tumble-lube them with Liquid Alox, and load them up.

The bottom line is that 625s are generally more accurate than 25-2s with a wider variety of loads. With jacketed or plated bullets, though, a 25-2 can be a pretty awesome gun!

25-2s are well-known for shooting pretty well with jacketed bullets, and pretty poorly with cast bullets. I have experienced this personally with three different guns, and can think of several shooting friends with 25-2s who have found this also.

Thanks, That's what I needed to know and suspected, but not what I wanted to hear. A few of the guys I shoot bullseye with have 25-2s and say how good they shoot with cast bullets, but I'm not seeing it. They get real touchy about letting me shoot their 25-2's to compare with my 625. Guess I'm going to have to save my pennies for another 625 to have Randy put a 6.5" barrel on. His post got me drooling.

A few of the guys I shoot bullseye with have 25-2s and say how good they shoot with cast bullets, but I'm not seeing it. They get real touchy about letting me shoot their 25-2's to compare with my 625.

I know exactly what you mean. I typed pretty much the same information one time over on the Smith and Wesson forum, and you should've heard all the clucking noise from all the little old hens that hang around over there.

One of the first things we noticed when the 625 was introduced back in '88 is how accurate it was compared to the 25-2.

Even so, I would never hesitate to shoot or recommend a 25-2 for competitive shooting, as long as the owner is willing to commit to jacketed (or perhaps plated) bullets. For the shooter who wants a little more sight radius but still maintain excellent handling characteristics, a 25-2 is a great option.

Even so, I would never hesitate to shoot or recommend a 25-2 for competitive shooting, as long as the owner is willing to commit to jacketed (or perhaps plated) bullets.

Therein lies the problem. I really don't want to get into loading more different flavors of ammunition. A SWC for bullseye, a RN for uspsa, precision bullets coated (black) bullets for both. Just different amounts of WST in the cases. Pin shooting is mostly with 22LR, CF (.45acp JHP) only about twice a year. Lots of 22's thru my 617's. Keeps things simple and easy to keep up with. I've also always tried to avoid guns that are finicky about the ammo they're fed. They usually get sold.

Do they give decent accuracy with cast or coated (not jacketed) bullets?

25-2s are well-known for shooting pretty well with jacketed bullets, and pretty poorly with cast bullets. I have experienced this personally with three different guns, and can think of several shooting friends with 25-2s who have found this also. My old 25-2 will literally spit cast bullets sideways, with lots of keyholing evident on the targets. (It does fine with Rainier 230-gr. plated bullets, however.)

Can a 25-5 45 colt be fitted with a .45 ACP cylinder? I know you can't shoot .45 AR in it because of the rim thickness but didn't know if anyone had experience fitting a .45 ACP cylinder

The .45acp cylinder is shorter. You could if you set the barrel back. It would have to be a 625 cylinder, as I understand the 25- cylinders are non-existent. It's also possible the 25-5 barrels are .454. Someone else may know? Carmoney?

I don't think the barrels are .454", I had an 8-3/8" 25-5 barrel installed on my 25-2 for awhile, and it shot OK.

Tom E is correct that installing a 25-2 cylinder on a 25-5 would require the barrel to be set back--which may also require shortening of the ejector rod, center pin, etc. Not worth the hassle, Jerry, even if you could find a 25-2 cylinder somewhere (which you probably won't).