Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone read Rob Pincus?

leam

and gain some more comfort with concealed carry and all that it implies. Rob Pincus' book and DVD ( http://www.valhallatrainingstore.com/books.html ) seem interesting. Anyone read/watched them? For the record, I'm an IDPA shooter at the low end of Marksman. I'd like to improve my game skills as well as "live" skills if they are needed. Not only am I cross eye dominant but as I age neither eye likes to focus on the front sight quickly.

Leam

Leam,

Books are good but honestly it sounds like a two day defensive type shooting class would serve you better. When I was in your shoes I took a two day class from Tom Givens of Rangemaster it helped me immensely.

Edited by Greg Bell

Definately agree on wanting a class over just a book. However, $$ considerations are pretty high on my list right now. I have to pick my books carefully so that I'm learning and can still afford reloading components. A class would pretty much require a good cash windfall and right now the breeze isn't even stirring the autum leaves...

Leam

I can't make a recommendation on the book you mentioned, but I can tell you that a good bang for your buck book/DVD would be Burkett's series.

You can often find the DVDs for sale in the classified section at a discount...

I watched (not to be confused with studied) a video by Vahalla a couple of weeks ago. OK. Not great. But neither am I. Self teaching works, but suffers if you are not so in tune with your body positions and movements that you can self-analyse. A video of yourself can help. A coach/teacher with good observation skills is better.

Aging eyes are difficult. Search the forum. There are threads and links that have information and exercises.

As I think of this the question seems to boil down to "style", in a loose sense of the term. Not being an "operator" of any sort, nor having any risk of becoming the next BE, my desires are to play safely and to my best ability at the game and to be able to deal with any real shooting situation with some confidence that I won't get myself or any innocents killed.

From the discussion on m1911.org it seems like Rob's slant is to take the natural reactions a body under stress performs and to use them while improving the shooting platform. However, I've not been able to find a comparison between what RP says and someone who has taken other "tactical" shooting courses.

As for self-teaching, I can do that. Not nearly as well as under direct or even indirect supervision but most of the best things I've learned have been at least 50% self-taught. Again, my needs aren't the most intense, either.

Leam

Your appproach seems sound. You'll do fine.

Just question the "natural". Ain't nothing natural about riding a bicycle until you've learned one way or another. Then what you've learned defines natural.

Having seen one video isn't enough for me to comment much on Pincus' whole program.

You might enjoy a book I read a month or so ago: Deep Survivial by Laurence Gonzales. It has an interesting commentary on the interfacing and interaction of logic, emotions, and feelings -- leading to the "decisions" that can get people into survival situations and sometimes out of them. Definitely about what might be going on inside of you, rather than equipment. Also recognizes dumb luck. Sorry. A used copy was given to me (copyright 2005), so I don't know a source.

Keep an open mind. Even if you buy a book that is full of fecal material, you can evaluate its content after completing it and learn a lot. The important thing is you are actively looking to learn and experience things. I doubt you will ever finish a match or practice session saying, "There is no possiblilty that I could ever improve on this performance." Enjoy the journey!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought Rob's book and a couple of videos, so let me answer my own questions. First and foremost, as noted by others, books and videos pale in comparison to actual instruction from a qualified teacher. My "general public" review is on Amazon, here are some additional comments the BE crowd might find relevant.

Rob's material is good, I'm glad I bought it. My areas of focus are IDPA and use of the pistol for home defense and the material covers that. It is not really geared towards sport shooting at the upper levels. At my level having the concepts of minimizing conscious decision when unnecessary, and critically evaluating my motions during firing can't be drummed in enough. The material also really pushed me to evaluate what I'm doing and why.

Probably the simplest way to evaluate the material is to go to Valhalla Training and poke around. If the videos look like a direction you want to take your skills, then order the Combat Focus Book and DVD set. The pair of them will re-enforce each other and the shoot house videos are *not* to be missed!

Be advised that the other video, "Shooting in realistic environments" is good but there's a lot of duplication with the CFS DVD. You won't need both, but either is great. Rob has a few more videos, including another one on Tactical Pistol Training Tips due out next month. So far I'd have no problems getting any of them, budget allowing.

Reading over this review I sound like a marketing parrot for Rob. Not intentional, and I get no compensation from him. However, I've only been actively shooting for just over a year now. My skills are okay for IDPA but few things scare me more than having to defend my family in my own house. It's something I can't run away from so I better deal with it now, while I have time to read, drill, and think. Rob's material, if practiced, will help me prepare for and successfully respond to that incident, should it ever come.

Leam