Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dryfire magazines

rtr

I'm wondering what works well for S_I doublestack guns for dryfire mags. In my recent increase in dryfire (read from none to a little) I'm noticing it seems I'm getting some burrs on the magazine lip. I use an emtpy mag.

I'm wondering what folks that do a lot of dryfire use for magazines in order to not wear out live fire expensive mags and to better replicate the weight. I know there are dummy mags that are weighted, looking for specific recommendations of what works well, thanks.

I make up dummy rounds and either leave the primer pocket empty (don't pull the trigger or the firing pin may get stuck) or fill it with a colored silicone.

I keep these rounds in their own container and I always check every single round I put in the mag. You're using a 9 right? You can buy cheap dummy rounds.

I don't use my best mags to practice with....

Don't use an empty mag...it beats the heck out of the followers and is tough on the mag release. I use my barney mag (for loading the first round in the chamber) filled with dummy rounds I've loaded.

I guess I'm kinda anal on this dryfire practice stuff. I want my practice magazine to be as close as possible to what I use in a match down to the total weight and even the type of basepad on the magazine. I have one mag that just doesn't want to cooperate with my gun so its been banned to the "practice mode".

I load it full of "dummy" rounds made up with no primers. For safety, these are the only rounds for my match gun allowed in the house. (The only live rounds in the house reside in my carry gun and a 12 gauge pump designated for non-recreational shooting.)

Bill