Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder measure and scale

I currently have the Hornady LNL powder measure sitting atop my LNL AP press and have the Hornady GS-350 electronic scale. I am quite UNhappy with this setup. Last I checked, pulling a lever and dumping a case weren't feats for rocket scientists, but for some reason my charges vary around .5gr. No matter what I do, I can't get it to throw a consistent charge.

When setting up my powder measure, I adjust the measure, throw 5 charges and dump them back into the measure, then I throw 5 more charges and average them to get the weight. Those 5 charges usually vary like .1 to .2, but then after I load 20 rounds and weigh the next charge it's like .5 to .6 more than my original average charge weight. It is seriously ticking me off.

(yes, my measure is clean and I'm operating the press the same every pull of the handle)

I can think of three possible problems. 1. my measure sucks, 2. my scale sucks, 3. I suck.

Which leads me to the question, which powder measures and scales do you guys use?

Hornady LnL and a brand x electronic scale that's double checked w weights and a balance scale every now and then.

Consistency depends on the powder...ball and short extruded are excellent after 500 rounds. Always within a tenth, usually right on. Flake or semi-flake like Clays, I'll get a light one every now and then - but so light, you can see it in the case before setting the bullet. Even that is minimized by keeping the powder column at least 1/2 - 3/4 full. I also tamp the column a little whenever I fill it.

/Bryan

Make a trip to an auto parts or hardware store and pick up a 1/2" X 2" fender washer and use it as a powder baffle in the bottom of the hopper. When I started doing this with my LNL, it solved all of my inconsistancy woes. It now throws "spot-on" charges from the top of the hopper to empty. Also, are you using the large or small rotor in your measure? The small one is much more accurate for small powder charges.

I have two Hornady L-N-L measures and they both work great for me. I fill the hopper, tap or flick it with my finger to settle the powder and then throw 20 charges and dump them back in. Then I throw ten and weigh that to get my average. Adjust if necessary and start over. When I get the 10 charges to what I want, I load up. Every once in a while I throw one and check it. Rarely if ever off by .1. Ball powders seem to settle in faster than flake.

For flake powders I use the standard inserts with the big, flat plate on the end. For ball I use the pistol inserts with the small hole. Seems to be the best setup for me.

I use an RCBS 505 scale to set my dillon powder measure. When getting the measure close to a final setting, I'll drop 10 charges to settle the powder column then average the next 3. 10 drops is enough that the measure doesn't vary more than +/- 0.1 grains after that for normal pistol powder.

One difference is the dillon measure has a baffle in the powder hopper. The baffle keeps the weight of the powder off of the powder that drops directly into the measuring cavity. That means less drop variation between a full and mostly empty powder hopper. The baffle (sold seperate) for an rcbs uniflow measure will fit the hornady measure if bent slightly to slightly reduce the baffle diameter. It drops right in. I used one when I had a hornady setup.

the RCBS baffle for their uniflow measure will work in the Hornady. I used to use one, but still wasn't satisfied with the results. I stumbled across the fender washer idea by accident and bought an assortment of them. After a bunch of experimenting, I settled on the 1/2" X 2" as the best. It produces excellent results with Titegroup, H335 and Ramshot Silhouette.

The fender washer baffle is a great tip. Thanks. I have only had issues with real light charges in the LNL (3.0 grains). If your charges are off by half a grain then there is a real problem. The smaller pistol rotor may also be something to try.

I pull the hopper tube off and set the washer in the measure body. The washer's OD is a little smaller than the ID of the hopper so you could just drop it in and jiggle things around to get the washer sitting flat. After filling the hopper with powder I "dummy cycle" the measure to get everything comfortable. 10-12 times for H335, 15-20 times for TG and Silhouette. Doing this has really helped my consistancy with powder charge weight, and it works with a full hopper down to almost empty. However, it doesn't work so well with large flake powders, but what does?

Hope this trick works as well for you guys as it did for me!