Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124 gr 9mm recipe with 231?

harmonii

OK this is for a G34. I had some Win 124gr FMJ's on-hand.

I found recipes for -125 gr- FMJ's, but not 124, so after starting out with 4.7 gr of 231 and an OAL of 1.090 I have backed it down to 4.5 and that seems to work very reliably.

Just wondering why there are no recipes for 124gr and 231? Or why there seem to be less recipes for 231 and 9mm in general. I use the same powder for .45 and .40 with excellent results.

-H

Harmon, I dont know what kind of load you are looking for....Production, just paper, steel, etc.

4.5 would be a good Overall load, but I dont know what it chronos out to. You can also load the bullet out a little for better accuracy. I would check out the winchester website and check out their load data for a starting point.

I use the snot out of W231 due to it being a really accurate powder in the 9x19. I know that it is a little temperature sensitive, but I am not loading to major either..... ;)

Good luck,

DougC

Thanks Doug, Winchester website only lists a 125 gr projectile, not 124 (negligable?). but they list the MIN and MAX as 4.4 and 4.8 for the 125 with 1009 and 1088 fps respectively.

It would appear both make minor as the lower amount -barely- does (124 * 1009)/1000 = 125.1

Tough to reconcile racerba's post though, as 4.2 gr of 231 by my calculations would not make minor unless you go deeper than 1.090 on OAL and crimp the hell out of it.

Could the G35 with the longer barell help in that respect?

-H

Here'ya go. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there really shouldn't be enough difference between the two to matter.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default....urce=Winchester

FWIW, I'm using 4.25grs. with 124gr. Berry's plated. Very soft shooting

Nice site, had not seen that before... So with FMJ, that easily makes minor, (124 * 1060) /1000 = 131.4

Have you chrono'd your 4.25 gr load? (My scale does not go that fine... :) )

-H

Here'ya go. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there really shouldn't be enough difference between the two to matter.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default....urce=Winchester

FWIW, I'm using 4.25grs. with 124gr. Berry's plated. Very soft shooting

Nice site, had not seen that before... So with FMJ, that easily makes minor, (124 * 1060) /1000 = 131.4

Have you chrono'd your 4.25 gr load? (My scale does not go that fine... :) )

-H

Have not crono'd yet. Plated bullets will yield a higher vel. then jacketed, and of course lead even higher.

I say 4.25 due to minor fluctuations. Most loads checked are a little over 4.2 gr.