Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACOG ?

el pres

I have been running an ACOG TA-31 for about a year now and every time I shoot a short range

hoser match I debate on the use of this scope. At medium to long distance this scope rocks, but

the close stuff really slows me down(trapped in scope). I can do the two eye thing until I use the

magnification and then I cant get out. I put a precision machine cap on it, but it really trows off the

point of impact, was supposed to help it but goes way low (6"). I think part of it is my build or the

way I hold the rifle but I have to scoop down in to the scope turning my head and also shortening

the stock to get a picture without a ring around it. Right now I'm debating two choices, go open and

get a secondary optic, or try to raise the scope considerably. Has anyone put an ACOG on a riser

and will it really trow the trjectory off that much, they were originally designed to be on top of an A2

carry handle, right????

I could be wrong, but I think the TA31 is meant for a flat top. That said, I use a TA-01 on a flat top and frankly don't rely on the built in hold overs. They will mean NOTHING if you're load is different than what they were calibrated for.

So, seein' that you've tried the occluded eye trick, you have basically two options that I can see. Either get a set of irons on the handguard (i.e. JP's SRTS) or switch to say a Trijicon Accu-Point (personal preference) or other low power variable. Ultimately, I'd play with the mounting location a little more. It's frustrating, but move the scope to you, not the other way around.

Rich

Dirty Chamber

If you go to the cached page 3 in this section, there is a discussion on possible options for fixed close range back up sights... there is a picture of an inexpensive solution I did using a TA01 4x32, the front sight is a Burris Zee ring with a little machine work and a 10-32 threaded rod... the rear is approx 1/4 inch and thick enough to act like a true ghost ring, the height and windage took some trial and re-do but the entire job was pretty inexpensive, and works well for up close and fast... regards Les

Hi Guy...

You probably don't want to hear this, but you have the wrong model for our type of shooting. The lower-power mini models or the 3.5 larger scope has the longer eye relief needed to keep both eyes open for the close range targets and fast acquisition. Without buying a new scope the add-on dot is the way to go as mounting the scope higher will do nothing to remedy the problem. The other solution is to mount the JP short range tactical sight at an angle on the free-float tube.

Bill

Thanks Les, something like that might work !!

I have a friend that uses the top of his scope adjustment knob but thats too high

and not very precise for me.

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER