Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann and plated/jacketed

jostein jensen

I've read in here that the Schuemann AET barrels are picky on bullets. And by picky it was jacketed bullets only.

This may be a dumb question, but how can I tell a coated bullet from a jacketed one? And whats the difference between them?

Is a FMJ a jacketed and a CMJ coated one?

And finally, what bullets do you guys recommend in these barrels? I was planning on shooting MG 124gr JHP's. Will these be good in my 9mm Schuemann AET barreled open gun?

I've read in here that the Schuemann AET barrels are picky on bullets. And by picky it was jacketed bullets only.

This may be a dumb question, but how can I tell a coated bullet from a jacketed one? And whats the difference between them?

Is a FMJ a jacketed and a CMJ coated one?

And finally, what bullets do you guys recommend in these barrels? I was planning on shooting MG 124gr JHP's. Will these be good in my 9mm Schuemann AET barreled open gun?

FMJ = Full Metal Jacket (Base of bullet has exposed lead)

CMJ = Complete Metal Jacket. (no exposed lead base)

Both are jacketed.

I can not speak directly to Schuemann AET but MG bullets are great for open (do not use FMJ). You don't want to run a "plated' bullet like Berry in Open. The plating leaves the bullit like a bad suit on Superman.

I've read in here that the Schuemann AET

I can not speak directly to Schuemann AET but MG bullets are great for open (do not use FMJ). You don't want to run a "plated' bullet like Berry in Open. The plating leaves the bullit like a bad suit on Superman.

Saul Kirsch likes the Berry´s 124 grs. RN! He shoots a STI, though....

I've read in here that the Schuemann AET

Saul Kirsch likes the Berry´s 124 grs. RN! He shoots a STI, though....

I can tell you from experience--Berrys plated come apart at the FPS required to reach 165PF in an Open pistola!!!

In addition to CMJ, MGB also has Jacketed Hollow Point(JHP). JHP has a jacketed base, much like CMJ. Zero jacketed bullets also has jacketed base.

MGB (Montana Gold Bullets) also has a 121 IFP that is a complete metal jacket and extremely accurate. Can not go wrong with any of MGB Open grade hole punchers.

I'm going for JHP's. Are the MG's consistent in weight and diameter size?

I can speak for the 121 IFP--at 3 major matches they weighed 120.5 everytime. I am pretty sure the JHP are pretty consistent from MGB also. MGB is pretty precise. I know an A Open shooter who uses the 115 JHP and never heard any complaints from him.

The AET in my steel gun will shoot jackets MG's and Zero's fine but won't shoot West Coast plated. The West Coasts groups about 3 inch's at 15 yards.

Edited by TMC

i have reloaded rainier .40 and .45 with the "thicker" plating and have always smooshed the plating to where it was about to come off and it won't go through the chamber checker. I was spend the extra money and go with a better bullet than ranier.

Do Precision Delta's run in the AET barrels?

Good enough for Saul, good enough for me. I have been using Berry's out of my Open gun for a year and a half, over 12,000 rounds, and I love them. The only real trick is to bell the mouth of the case a little more than normal so as not to cut into the plating when you seat the bullets and to make sure not to over crimp them or you will start sheading the plating part way down range or worse, in the barrel.

Joe W.