Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter at the NC Sectional, critique please

lokigoesrawr

This was my 4th match, which happened to be a level 3 at the local club. There were 9 stages and 8*4 squads -- Fri PM, Sat AM/PM, Sun AM. I volunteered to help RO later, so I shot on Friday. I had made a commitment to myself to see each and every sight picture that day, and thought I followed through relatively well with that. It's just that it started raining halfway through and I shot a lot slower on some stages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHkozg0R7bI

<frivolous details>

self-analysis on the stages-

Stage 5: 13A 3C 14.03sec (best under 7 sec)

No-shoots placed so that there's only one way to shoot it. Turns out to be faster to run directly to left port (3), take center port on the move (2), reload, take right port (3). Also need to have a faster reaction to the timer.

Stage 6 (CM99-21): 11A 1C 8.63sec 6.7207HF borderline B score according to Ohio Calc, #102/192 all div

I tried my hardest not to think about it, but making a B on this stage was my biggest goal going into the match. (Dry-drilled off a scaled setup in my room for a few weeks.) My initial classification will be a C, offsetting my previous sub-40% classifiers. Reload seating was sloppy and reacquisition after the reload could've been faster. My groups on T1/T2 were smaller than my fist, but T3 was a bit wide with a low left C.

Stage 7: 28A 2C 1D 1M 1NS 39.17s (best 21.12) #112/192

D/M on the long shot at start. 2A/NS on a moving shot. My right to left moving is really awkward. How can I fix that?

Stage 8: 28A 1C 1D 1NS 33.93s (best 13.54) #126/192

No video, but I was the last shooter before all shooting halted for a while. It started pouring and my support hand was coming loose after shots. It got really distracting, so I went slower, trying to focus on hits.

Stage 9: 22A 1C 1M 29.97s (best 11.58) #123/192

The guy before me dropped his mags on the barrel because he didn't want to clean them. I went into the stage thinking what a great idea I'm going to do that too wow... and just ended up in a slow position as well as dirty mags. Indecision. :rolleyes:

Stage 1: 26A 2C 27.02s (best 18.07) #89/192

Apparently zig-zagging is faster. It hadn't occurred to me until Sunday ROing that stage and watching the aces zoom through it. Also, waiting for a crystal clear sight picture on targets 2 feet away from you happens to be slow. :V

Stage 2: 24A 26.63s (best 10.22) #102/192

Most points and most regrets. Mediocre plan abandoned for a worse last minute on-the-line plan. In hindsight, the best thing to do at my skill was to walk slowly from starting box to corner diagonally, shooting carefully on the move.

Stage 3: 22A 6C 1D 31.12s (best 15.29) #116/192

no vid

Stage 4: 25A 6C 1M 1NS 40.19s (best 21.94) #102/192

A nice A-M-NS on the 2nd target. Listening for steel is slow.

#20/37 overall Production division, 2nd unclassified shooter

</frivolous>

Some opportunities for improvement:

-Better stage planning and shooting more efficiently on the move

-Calling the shot

-Target transitions

-Economy of movement (draw, stance, reloads)

-Reaction to timer

-Learning to deal with less than ideal conditions

I have a very hunched shooting stance. (Eyeball still straight out of the socket.) I'm a really skinny guy and I feel like it takes the guesswork out of having a stable and aggressive stance. When my feet are square to the target I feel that standing taller pushes me back (edit- in recoil). Should I be more upright? Is this a bad habit?

Sorry for all the words, maybe this should be in a diary or something, haha. I'd be grateful if anybody would give any sort of criticism or comments.

Edited by lokigoesrawr

My quck notices.

You up and down a lot. When you move more than a couple steps you come more upright then when its time to shoot crouch down again. That kills some time. Be in the position you want to be in.

Second part is start moving while you are drawing, as you stated more aggresive, attack it.

I don't see anything wrong with the bent over stance. I hunch some as I shoot, but I am big. If you feel comfortable that way and it works for you then it is all good. Looks like you are doing what you need to.

Edited by Kingman

I shot the match on Sunday so I know the stages. You look like you are shooting well on the move. Your stance could be a little more heads up but it is not that bad. As long as you are seeing the sights and shooting as fast as you can see them properly then the speed will come with time and experience. My advice to you would be to find a local Master class shooter or a strong A shooter to practice with and shoot as many local matches as possible. There is not replacement for match experience no matter what kind of match it is. Good luck and remember, you can't miss fast enough, so watch your sights and eleminate all unnecessary movement. You picked a great match to shoot! The guys at Sir Walter put on another world class match!