Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headspace Difference Due to Different Brass?

revchuck

I finally got a chance to start on my .223 loading. I set up the Dillon sizer die using a Wilson headspace gauge and Federal brass, then ran all my brass through the sizer mounted in my Rockchucker, checking occasionally as I went. I noticed that R-P brass (from the cheap Wal-Mart ammo) didn't quite go down as far as the Federal - it was still within the step in the heaspace gauge, just a hair higher. I don't expect any problems from this, just passing on something I noticed from the first time I used a headspace gauge (I've been loading for rifles for over 20 years). Is this common?

• 4 weeks later...

All bottlenecked brass is annealed after the neck is formed. Since the head is left hard drawn for purpose, the length of the neck anneal depends on the equipment, lot etc. Also, different lots have varying wall thicknesses etc.

And then there are differences due to the number of reloads. The brass work-hardens with each reloading. All of these factors affect the resizing of the shoulder length. This can lead to length variations if trimming off the shoulder.