Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 cylinder replacement

ffl

I have a 686 Plus and want to be able to replace the yoke/cylinder assembly to suit the disipline I am shooting. 7 shot for Icore 6 shot for uspsa.

I hear it can be done. but what do I need to do beside the yoke and cylinder assembly. Are there any internals that need to be changed. like the Hand or other parts.

dcs

David, If you are real lucky all you have to do is change the complete cylinder and star. This has worked for me and was within tolerances. Of course I had a couple of guns to try it on. I had an old 586 that I took the cylinder out to replace one of the 686+. I then bought a 686 6 shot cylinder from Numerichs that ( sorta) fit to make my 686 38 super. But if you get the Yoke,( that may have to fitted, mine did) it may work better for swapping back and forth.

Old style 686 cylinders are married to the star and must be replaced as a unit. If the perimeter of the ejector is circular and you don't have a flat portion on the shaft, you've got the old style. New style cylinders are not married to the star and are characterized by a rectangular star perimeter (you'd never notice this unless you are looking for it) and a flat spot on the shaft, in which case the cylinder and star can be replaced independently.

At least that's what I was told at a factory tour 11+ years ago.

You will not necessarily need a new hand. If you get a cylinder with a new extractor star, the ratchet can probably be fit to the existing hand, then you can truly switch back and forth by simply swapping out the cylinders like you want. I know this can be done, I have an old Baumannize Model 27 with both 6- and 7-shot cylinders, both cylinders work interchangeably off the same hand and yoke.

Bubber,

I was under the impression the hand and cylinder was all that needed to be changed. Is the barrel of the yoke smaller diameter?

RGS, The yokes are the same diameter, but I had found on one ocassion that the cylinder would not fit in the gun because it would not clear the forcing cone. An endshake bearing would have fixed the problem. Because I was using an old style cylinder on the new style gun the tolerances were different but could work and then sometimes the cylinder would fit in with no problem. On my 38 super project there was an issue with the timing and the Gunsmith just changed out to an oversize hand and it was good to go. But I am far from being an expert on any of this stuff but sometimes I just get lucky. :ph34r: later rdd