Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Guide Rod For Open Gun?

benos

This tread was started by sincityshooter and lost before the conversion.

Tungsten guide rods for Open

sincityshooter

Is anyone using Tungsten rods in their Open Guns? I have a fairly light gun (shortened EGW comp, 3 ports in barrel, and a lightened slide). I'm trying to tame the dot a bit for those tougher shots. Let me know what experience you have.

tightloop

Eventually you will find out if you shoot a light pistol better than a heavier one. Took me about 15 months, and I found out that my scores were 9% better with a heavier pistol. Yes I have a tungsten guide rod.

sincityshooter

Any recommendations? I heard that EGW and SV are the way to go.

BrianH

Either or....it's all the same, MOL. Wilson makes one, Ed Brown....go check your Brownells catalog. (You have one, right.....)

sincityshooter

I tried an EGW tungsten rod today and noticed a HUGE difference. Everything seemed in slow motion. The dot was a lot easier to track, I was shooting a lot of A's even on tough partial A zone targets. Now why did it take me 4 years to try this?

Roger Rabbit

I had heard that tungsten guide rod are easily to be broken. STI, Cominoli for sure that they are easily broken. What brand worth to invest with?

Chriss Grube

EGW, I have 3 in different guns from open to limited and never had a problem.

Roger Rabbit

HI Chriss!! How long you use it? If you can tell how many rounds shoot with EGW guiderod will be appreciate.

sincityshooter

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with EGW... I know 2 shooters that have over 60k with the EGW. I also heard that SVI makes a good one.

tightloop

I have to ask the dumb question, how would yu break a guide rod? tungsten or not.

Chriss Grube

1 has over 20k in an open gun, the limited and production ones have 3-5k. If George is putting it out with his name on it it works and if there is any type of problem he will take care of it. Kind of a Gunsmith with a Dillon no BS warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading these responses, got a tungsten guide rod for my open gun, and splits dropped around .04-.06 between shots! Amazing how this changed dot tracking to more vertical and the ability to call the second shot sooner. Can't wait to put it into practice at the match this weekend.

Mark