Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 TS trigger hang-up

I have a brand new CZ 75 TS in .40 S&W. Before firing for the first time, I cleaned and lubed gun (I put some Slide Glide grease in the slide grooves.)

Took the gun to the range and ran through 10 rounds, no problem. Then, the trigger began to hang up occasionally. By hang-up, I mean that after a shot is fired, the trigger stays rearward and did not spring forward. A range officer and experienced IPSC and IDPA shooter tried the gun, and the same thing happened to him.

Has anyone had tis problem with a new CZ 75 TS?

Is there a safety question with a trigger this light? It is almost as light as the trigger on my Hammerli Bullseye gun?

Also, does anyone know if there is a trigger minimum weight limit for IPSC and what is it? The trigger weight seems VERY light, almost too light for safety.

Thank you,

John C :surprise:

Edited by John C from Maryland

Hi John. I owned 2 of these & we used to sell them HERE They are outstanding guns.

The problem you are having is caused by either:

1) Trigger adjustment. Your gun probably has the pre-travel screw adjusted in too far. From the factory box, get the metric hex key out and remove your gun's slide. Just past the trigger spring & trigger pivot pin, you should see the adjustment screw. Adjust it so the trigger can go further forward. Also, do not try to take every last bit of overtravel out either. Your gun comes with an awesome trigger; it will be just a good with a little more travel in each direction.

2) Factory preservative coating. CZ uses lots of it. While the slide is off, use a MILD solvent like gunscruber, CLP or brake cleaner. DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER!!! Wrinse off the factory goo & replace with good oil (like slip 2000).

See you at Fredericksburg this weekend.

C.

From Carlos' description, it sounds a lot like my Witness Match's internals. Not sure if CZ's are the same setup, but check to see if the pre-travel set screw is ground at an angle. If so, make sure the flat part of the screw is contacting the frame. If it isn't, it can walk on you and cause the trigger not to reset.

I wasn't a huge fan of that type of screw, so I removed mine and replaced it with a standard style set screw and loctited it in place. Holding fine ~1000 rounds later.

It also could be a problem with your trigger return spring, which could also cause your super-light trigger problem. Check to make sure the legs of the spring are where they are supposed to be, and that the spring is oriented correctly. Henning put together a great set of video's for the Witness' on his page, and you can see if your setup is similar to what I'm talking about - http://www.henningshootsguns.com/tech/tech...e.assembly.html

I've never handled a TS, but I'm fairly sure the trigger would be somewhere around 3lb, and no lighter than 2lb. I believe the only rule regarding pull weight is that the gun must function safely, but you'll definitely want to make sure your gun is on par with other TS's, if not, you probably have other problems...

Best of luck to you,

Dave

Wow, actually a quick search said that the trigger on another TS was ~2lbs. It said nothing about how or what is was measured with though.

That is correct. I have an RCBS trigger pull gage. Used it to test both the CZ Standard IPSC/TS that I owned, as well as my friend Vlad's gun (3 guns). All measures 1.75 lbs after break in. Vlad's gun was at 2 lbs when new; after break in, it heald steady at 1.75 lbs. I also tried the trigger several times on a brand new TS we had for sale before the business burned down at www.shootersparadise.com; same result: 2 lbs, no take up, no over travel, and extremely crisp. My guns have NEVER followed or doubled.

I had to chime in here on this one......... I've been shooting a TS in Limited for about a 1 1/2 year now and have never experienced that problem after well over 15K rounds. The gun does come with a 2lb trigger out of the box, it takes a little getting used to. My advice is contact the guys at CZ-USA. Ask to speak with the gunsmith. Those guys have fantastic service and will get you squared away fast!

Is the trigger locking back or will it freely move just not have any back pressure? Please let me know what the fix turns out to be!!

--Kevin

I had to chime in here on this one......... I've been shooting a TS in Limited for about a 1 1/2 year now and have never experienced that problem after well over 15K rounds. The gun does come with a 2lb trigger out of the box, it takes a little getting used to. My advice is contact the guys at CZ-USA. Ask to speak with the gunsmith. Those guys have fantastic service and will get you squared away fast!

Is the trigger locking back or will it freely move just not have any back pressure? Please let me know what the fix turns out to be!!

--Kevin

Kevin: I used Gunscrubber on it to remove all of the old oil. Then lubericated it with a Gunscrubber gun oil (relatively light weight). I took it to the range and fired it. About 25 rounds, but the trigger still hung up once. The hang-up occurs as follows. The I pulll the trigger, the gun goes off, slide returns to battery, but the trigger does not return to its forward position. By flicking it with my finger there is a clicking sound and it then returns. If in the hang-up position, you pull the trigger, nothing happens. Gun will not fire.

I called CZ USA and spoke to two different gunsmiths. The first was not at all helpful. Just told me to send the gun in for service -- 4-6 week turnaround time! He also said that they coould "fix" the trigger weight, if I wanted it heavier -- which I don't-- by giving me a 5 pound pull weight. (That defeats the purpose of buying the gun).

The second fellow said just to use gun scrubber on it, and re-oil.

A bit frustrating as I don't feel the gun is either reliable or really safe with a trigger that hangs up.

I'll keep shooting it. Perhaps a "break-in" period is needed on this gun to make the trigger function reliably.

1) Trigger adjustment. Your gun probably has the pre-travel screw adjusted in too far. From the factory box, get the metric hex key out and remove your gun's slide. Just past the trigger spring & trigger pivot pin, you should see the adjustment screw. Adjust it so the trigger can go further forward. Also, do not try to take every last bit of overtravel out either. Your gun comes with an awesome trigger; it will be just a good with a little more travel in each direction.

This would have been my first guess too, try increasing the trigger movement a bit, both pre- and overtravel.

John,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I'm really surprised about the your experience with the CZ gunsmith! They're usually really helpful.

Try this, field strip the weapon. Remove the barrel, guide rod, and recoil spring. Cock the hammer, release the safety if it is engaged, then pull the trigger and hold it back. If you look at the top of the frame, trace the lever that connects to the trigger. If you follow that lever back from the trigger (its called the trigger bow i think, but don't quote me) you'll see a rise in it just before it connects to the sear assembly. Press that rise down re-cock the hammer then release the trigger. Does that operation reset the trigger and allow the hammer to be re-cocked? If so try running a dry cycle with the slide on the frame (with out the slide release, barrel, recoil spring ect.). If either of those is failing I'd send the gun back. Actually, I think I'd send the gun back regardless. That is not a normal problem. Hope this helps a little!! I know the turn around sucks, but you'll be happier and more confident once it's been checked out by gunsmith. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

--Kevin

Edited by Kevin J