Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moly coated lead and major PF 9mm

mgcchkn

I haven't needed to load for major PF until now and was curious if anyone is shooting major 9mm with moly coated lead bullets or just lead in general. If so, which bullet and powder combination have you had good results with?

thanks!

Every person I talked with about 9mm major bullets said 'don't us lead, it will be a mess at best'.

Pushing lead bullets to 1300 or even 1400+ FPS (depending on wt) will shed all sorts of lead in the barrel and comp.

I experienced this 'leading' problem to some extent when I started shooting 40 open in my Glock with a hybrid barrel. Lead build up was not horrible, but I had to clean the hybrid ports after every match and this was at about 1000 FPS with 170 grn lead bullets.

G'day.

I have been shooting coated lead pills through a G17 with a 4 port Aluminium comp.

Powder used is Ap-100 (Australian Powder) and Win 540 and win WSF.

Bullet weights have been 125 conicals and 145gr. Round nose made by TopScore Projectiles in Sydney (OZ).

I have been getting 167 to 175 PF with no problems of leading in the comp or barrel.

Other brands (Westcasting and Blackhawks) do show leading. I now stick with TopScore pills.

Hooroo.

Regards, Trevor.

Grafton, OZ

G'day.

I have been shooting coated lead pills through a G17 with a 4 port Aluminium comp.

Powder used is Ap-100 (Australian Powder) and Win 540 and win WSF.

Bullet weights have been 125 conicals and 145gr. Round nose made by TopScore Projectiles in Sydney (OZ).

I have been getting 167 to 175 PF with no problems of leading in the comp or barrel.

Other brands (Westcasting and Blackhawks) do show leading. I now stick with TopScore pills.

Hooroo.

Regards, Trevor.

Grafton, OZ

Thanks Trevor!

Couple of thoughts for OP: normal open guns might work with coated bullets. Might have to clean the barrel.

There are a few weird open guns w/ barrels that have more holes than swiss cheese (hybrid holes) and these will likely "spit" coating and possibly lead if you use them with coated bullets (plus I HATE RO'ing guys with hybrid hole guns - but the guns are fun to shoot).

Now, if you would only give me your money to spend, then I'll be happy to tell you to buy the excellent, but increasingly expensive Montana Gold 124 CMJ. These won't present ANY problems with any sort of open gun, and since its your money I am spending, I don't mind the price.

has anyone tried using bear creek supply's moly lead bullets? the guy that answered the phone said his bullets have no problem making major PF velocities. their website is kind of screwed up right now though. www.bearcreeksupply.com the bullets are listed under the bear creek menu link.

I have shot tons of hard cast 162 and 168 gr lead bullets in major 9.

A little lead in the comp ...not too much.

But with lighter bullets and higher velocity it will be an issue.

Something you may consider..at high velocity some lead will become vapor....and you will be breathing it.

Jim

Hi Eric,

my wife shot tens of thousands of rounds in 9mm major (175pf) with poly / moly coated bullets with only occasional lead in the guns comp.

She loaded 145gn coated with W540 in her Tanfoglio open gun.

Kirby.