Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow-witted Shooter

Skywalker

The last weekend I attended Helmut Schweiger Trophy in Wien.

Actually it was my second time ever abroad, and first time in Wien.

Maybe the things I want to share with you are a little obvious, but they didn't seemed so to me before they happened :( .

The match was starting (for my squad) on Saturday at 6 p.m., and we all arrived in town by Thursday morning for some touring and sightseeing (we had to bring wifes and fiancées to be able to safely come back home... :D ).

After a full two days walking my legs felt a bit stiff, and this was the first problem I faced on the range: I was running like I had a wooden leg.

Learned (the hard way) Lesson 1: never get yourself tired before a match!

The range was (and I knew it on advance) completely indoor: long tunnels, well lit but not so well ventilated; whenever I was shooting from a still position, my lead bullets were smoking like an old carbon locomotive! I won't mention the enormous amount of mikes I shot in that fog: I still have to show my face on the ranges :D .

Learned (the hard way) Lesson 2: in major matches, or whenever you expect tough environmental conditions, shoot jacketed or copper plated bullets!

I was accompanied by seven fellow teammates: we kept laughing, joking, teasing each other the whole time! At a certain point I had cramps in my abdominals (or what is left of them under that fat layer I can't hide): a teammate of mine had predicted to another his C-more would have switched off somewhere during the match, the C-more owner (after regular touching of...something else than wood) even went to the Cathedral to get blessing against the prediction, and the switch-off regularly happened on the last stage of the match...

Learned (the hard way) Lesson 3: if you plan to seriously shoot a match, either shoot alone or shoot your teammates before starting with targets! :D

As Adrie from Holland (attending the match too) said: there is always something to learn, and each time you get more experienced.

After 5 years of shooting (and learning) I should already be a professor...

Hello Skywalker,

it was nice to meet you and your teammates from team of fire (and your friends from Greece)

I started last year with visiting level III matches through europe and it did bring me a lot of experience and fun.

But me and my teammates did the same thing.

We arrived thursdayevening after a 1150 km drive by car.

Planned a lot of things to do in Vienna, also on saturday.

That isn't the best preparation for a match but we didn't came al the way just to shoot this match!

Good tip, plan these activities after the match.

If you plan to seriously shoot a match, either shoot alone or shoot with equal seriously teammates.

The bigger the group, the harder that will be. But you have more fun.

Lack of concentration and a little fatigue of the things we did in Vienna resulted in the mistake i already told you there.

Bad preparation on a 32 rounds stage. After finishing shooting the RO give me compliments for the shooting, but.... While preparing i just missed a complete target :angry: and hadnt shoot it

When i told one of my teammates it seemed he hadn't noticed this target also.

With my information he shot a clean stage and gained 27 stagepoints over me.

In the overall results he finished 15-th place (74%) and i was 16-th with 20 matchpoints behind him....

As i told you before, every match you learn from the good and the bad things.

Try to apply these experience in next matches (but only if needed)

Greetings from Holland

• 4 weeks later...

Shot an IDPA match once with a low-light stage,,,,,correction,,,,no light. The match was indoors,,,,kill the lights,,,,pitch black, except for your flashlight.

I too had lead only in my range bag and knew I was screwed before the buzzer sounded. Winning time on the stage was something like 22 seconds,,,,,I was somewhere in the 1.5 minute range.........before penalties. :wacko: