Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to limited questions

mcattack

I have been shooting open for years and pretty much never shot limited. I now have a 40 edge pistol so I am looking for load info mostly. Which weight bullet: so On so forth. I was thinking 155 gr. would be quick slide and quicker back on target. Just need some help before I go buy a bunch of bullets and powder. 1 Other question. WHat recoil spring weight does everyone use. It has a 15 Lb spring in it right now and that really feels heavy.

Thanks for the info.

I have been shooting open for years and pretty much never shot limited. I now have a 40 edge pistol so I am looking for load info mostly. Which weight bullet: so On so forth. I was thinking 155 gr. would be quick slide and quicker back on target. Just need some help before I go buy a bunch of bullets and powder. 1 Other question. WHat recoil spring weight does everyone use. It has a 15 Lb spring in it right now and that really feels heavy.

Thanks for the info.

Actually the 155gr will give you a very snappy recoil and likely slower splits. The vast majority of Limited shooters are using either 180gr or 200gr bullets (or something in that range). The heavier bullet with a fast powder gets the recoil impulse over quicker, the slower bullet has less energy, and the smaller amount of fast powder causes less jet effect out of the muzzle.

The 200s will feel softer, but take longer for the front sight to return. The 180s will be a bit snappier, but the front sight will return quicker. As an Open shooter you probably won't mind the slightly snappier feel of the 180s, but dropping down to 155 will probably slow you down.

Titegroup and VV N320 seem to be the most popular powders going. In my Edge I load 180gr JHP Zeros with 4.9gr of 320 at 1.20 oal in Starline cases and get 171PF. If I use Winchester cases I have to drop down to around 4.7gr (smaller case volume raises pressure and velocity).

I've played with both 12.5 and 14Lb springs....either works fine, but you'll likely find you prefer the feel of one over the other. Dropping down to a 17Lb mainspring will also change the way the gun feels as it cycles and you might like that better as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually the 155gr will give you a very snappy recoil and likely slower splits. The vast majority of Limited shooters are using either 180gr or 200gr bullets (or something in that range). The heavier bullet with a fast powder gets the recoil impulse over quicker, the slower bullet has less energy, and the smaller amount of fast powder causes less jet effect out of the muzzle.

The 200s will feel softer, but take longer for the front sight to return. The 180s will be a bit snappier, but the front sight will return quicker. As an Open shooter you probably won't mind the slightly snappier feel of the 180s, but dropping down to 155 will probably slow you down.

Titegroup and VV N320 seem to be the most popular powders going. In my Edge I load 180gr JHP Zeros with 4.9gr of 320 at 1.20 oal in Starline cases and get 171PF. If I use Winchester cases I have to drop down to around 4.7gr (smaller case volume raises pressure and velocity).

I've played with both 12.5 and 14Lb springs....either works fine, but you'll likely find you prefer the feel of one over the other. Dropping down to a 17Lb mainspring will also change the way the gun feels as it cycles and you might like that better as well.

another +1 though my powder choices are slightly different.

I use for the most part : 185grain Precision black bullets at 1.200 COL with approx 4.5 grains of Titegroup. That gives me a 167-168 Pf with an economical load. I use this load for local matches and practice. Major matches I like to use the 180 grain Montana FMJ for absolute reliablility. This bullet requires about 5.1 grains of Titegroup at the same 1.200 COL. The PF is approx 170 for a little cushion. Recoil Springs should be in the 12-13 lb range. My guess is with a stock slide 13lbs. Enjoy wading in the Limited Big Pool!