Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 powder bar problem?

Hello,

I was reloading a little .40 for practice tomorrow and after about 90 rounds my 550 started to feel a little sticky. I was looking at it

to try and figure it out and it looked like the powder bar was hanging up on the return (down) stroke. Well it locked up solid with two

rounds out of 100 to go. Really weird, I have never had a problem with it til now. It is locked up good. Any ideas how to fix it? Can you

take it apart to clean it or something. I don't know if it matters but I was getting low on powder. Down below the plastic bar in the powder

dispenser. I am out of powder and was trying to squeeze 100 rounds more out of it. Anyway thansk for the help.

T

Edited by Tattoo

First, dump the powder out. There is a significant possibility of a foreign object in the hopper jamming the powder bar. Next, pull the powder bar spacer plug, an ivory colored plastic piece about 1/2" long on top of the powder measure body. Once this is removed, push the powder bar spacer out the rear of the powder bar cavity. After this is removed, lift up on the powder bar to clear the bellcrank cube, and withdraw it from the powder bar cavity. Wipe everything with alcohol, and if there are any burrs on the powder bar or spacer, use a file to knock off JUST the high spots. Reassemble in the reverse, see how it functions before adding powder to it. If you need additional help, phone Dillon when you can be in front of the loader. :ph34r:

Just in case the suspense was killing you. I did all this that Dillon said and found a small piece of metal ground into the side of the metal housing. I have

NO idea where it came from. I had to file it out smooth and now the powder bar slides in slick as can be. Talked to Dillon on the phone too and the were as cool as they always are. Cranked out another 200 rounds this morning and it works good as new.

T