Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine changes

Rocket35

This topic could be placed in several threads, but since I thought it was a subtle adjustment, I posted it here:

I have been battling a condition that until now I couldn't seem to avoid. When ejecting the old magazine, I seem to always run into it with the new magazine as I brought it to the magwell. I focused more on hitting the mag release button faster (and still do), but that causes my magazine retrieval hand move faster as well! Thus still creating the problem. I noticed today while dryfiring speed reloads that if I insert the fresh (new) magazine "over" the old one, that it solved this problem. Kind of like "laying" the new magazine on top of the ejecting magazine. This seems to work when you see the old one ejecting. I feel I must have been bringing the fresh magazine underneath the ejecting magazine, thus hitting it on the way up. Am I making any sense here or just rambling on?! :wacko:

Edited by Rocket35

Boy do I know how it feels to cram a magazine up the hind end of the one trying to fall, I have destroyed Dawson basepads doing it. When I was dryfiring once in a while I got fairly fast.

A HUGE help for me is keeping the grip vertical and WATCHING the old one out, flip over a bit and watch the new one in. If you watch the old one out before rolling the gun over your weak hand will slow down a tad on it's own, it gets rid of the timing too. By timing I mean grooving a reload where you punch the old one out and throw a new one in automatically, all is fine there until ANYTHING gets a tiny bit off, if that happens your super spiffy reload time just doubled and probably more. Watching the old mag out is best practiced (for me) doing Burkett reloads for 90%+ of the reps. Throw a few full loads in and call it good. Too many full reps learning to watch the mag out will put you right back into throwing the magazine into the gun. Bring your weak hand up, position the mag for insertion, when the old mag is clear roll the gun and slam the new mag home. For me it is so much more reliable it isn't even funny.

Throwing a .6 reload would be fun, wow factor and all of that, but come match day 1.1 to 1.2 would be completely satisfactory.

• 3 months later...