Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major in SV IMM

jostein jensen

I'm getting a used SV for a very low price and need some tips about loading 9mm major.

My only loading experience is .40 with N320 for STD/LTD.

VV is the only powder available to me here in Norway, so I'll be using only VV powders.

The owner has used N350 and 105, both made major. But since SV claims 3n38 is the best for these guns I thought I'd try that first.

The guns has two different barrels for 9mm. One has two ports or hybrid holes (or whatever they are called in the barrel) and the other has three.

Jostein.

I'd tend to not believe that he made major in in a short 9mm gun usiing N105 until I saw it myself, especially one with ports. My own experiments with a 5.4" barrel with NO ports have gotten 163 PF with a FULL case and a bullet seated. The case was FULL, powder compressed and the bullet pushed back out somewhat by the powder with no way possible to get more powder in the case. 163 is just too close, and OAL ends up over 1.200" which makes it really hard to keep the bullets from being cocked on the feed ramp. A shorter barrel with ports will likely be even lower in power factor.

350 works nicely. 3n-37 does too. 3n-38 is impossible to get around here since I built my 9mm major gun, I haven't been able to get it anywhere. Pick up a pound of each and try them out, one will feel good with a good dot track.

Send me a e-mail or post it here and let me know how you made out loading for major using 3n38 in 9mm. I’ve loaded 38 super with 124 grains bullets and it took 10 grains of 3n38 to make the major power in the gun I was shooting at that time, ( 4 poppet? Plus compositor ports ) . :cheers:

I and several other shooters are making major in 9mm with 3n37,3n38,350, and SP-2. All of us have holes in the barrels and one of uses a shorty setup. We all load to factory length. I have tried other powders and have had less satisfactory results. I tried Longshot and as I added more powder the speeds started getting irradict and even started loosing velocity once I got above 8g. Some of these powders we use do not like being compressed. The only placees I shoot my 9mm gun are places that seem to eat brass, Lots of sand and such. I shoot my IMM gun for all my major matches and am very pleased with it but it is 38sc. Where I practice is indoors so I can retrieve 99.9 % of all my brass, so I use 38sc for practice but for 1 or 2 matches a month I use 9mm so I dont have to play brass rat.. I agree that getting VV powders is getting harder and I hope that the people at Hogdon as well as Kaltron will get their act together and bring this stuff in like they used to.

HMMM, there are a couple transcription errors in my data on that list.....

I think I have the email I sent with the original data at home......

Interesting... I pulled it from another thread, can't remember where, and it was in this format. If you send me a the email I will correct any errors and put it on the server, so you can link to it. ;)