Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

long range techniques

Sounds like fun.  Just wondering if anyone's practicing 50yds these days?  If so, what's a solid draw and the average splits.  Just getting ready for the Nationals.  I was drawing in the 1.6s but I think I need to pause .2 for a better first shot.  

Taking a little longer to settle at 50m always pays off, its all about accuracy at that distance. Last time I practiced draws at 50m, it was at an 8" plate. I was pushing low 1.4's, but for consistant hits 1.5 to 1.55 seemed a good pace. Really anything under a 2.0sec draw is good as long as youmaintain all A's.

I have found par time Bill drills at this distance to be more effective training. Start at a par time that you know you can easily hit all a's, then start to tighten up the time, 'til you are still able to get your a's, but be a little pressured. I like to set a 6.0 par time. It gives me a nice comfortable pace where I can pay attention to every detail, but I can't slack off. My biggest problem usually is shooting it too fast istead of using the time allotted, this is a big killer on standards.

I was shooting them in the 4.4-4.7 range.  I wasn't getting all A's but I wasn't shooting D's.  It is tough to use up the alloted par time.  Ever have problems where you just can't get the dot still?  I have days when I can barely keep the dot in the C zone with the gun unloaded.  I'll have to try some shooting with an 8" plate.  Any other drills for long range?