Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental state during practice

Holshot

I'm a B shooter, shoot 600 rounds a week, with a little dry firing at home.

Recently I've made some significant changes to my practice sessions. I had originally approached practice as quality over quantity and that may have been best at that time. However I've made huge improvements in my shooting within the last couple of months by pounding the fundamentals with an atttitude of "every shot is for the match". Improvements to levels that allow me to win stages over M's and GM's.

So after stating the obvious above, my question is this. Can I still go out with some friends and run and gun in a relaxed state of mind (goof off) with little concern over quality without messing up what I've worked so hard to achieve? The thing that brings this up is the recent Front Sight article about "training to miss" that dealt with the subconscious mind.

Thanks ahead of time.

The better of shooter you are the more you can control what bleeds over into your shooting. As a B shooter, I would suggest you stay away from blasting at brown. Screwing around with your friends is no big deal...just do it with proper technique.

If you want to speed everything up, work on moving at an accelerated pace in dry fire.

When I practice, I am smooth, accurate, and calm. When I compete, I act the way I have practiced...smooth, accurate, and calm.

You can have fun with your friends and still have a good, meaningful practice session. I shoot with Bseevers and KEEN here on the forums all the time, and we have a great time...as well as learn from the shooting.

When I practice, I am smooth, accurate, and calm. When I compete, I act the way I have practiced...smooth, accurate, and calm.

+1

and I would suggest dry firing as much as you can to that way when you are with your friends you will have a better opportunity to flow.

So after stating the obvious above, my question is this. Can I still go out with some friends and run and gun in a relaxed state of mind (goof off) with little concern over quality without messing up what I've worked so hard to achieve? The thing that brings this up is the recent Front Sight article about "training to miss" that dealt with the subconscious mind.

Your match performance will reflect your training.

be