Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me with production trigger

WARDOG

After having read all I can about trigger jobs on the web, I've polished all trigger group, stoned contact points, still, I've a trigger break that's mushy and far too long to have accuracy on small plates far away, and for real accurate shots.

The production rule in Italy states that we can not have trigger weights less than 6lbs (2.5kg) for the first shot. That suck bad for a glock shooter.

I need some suggestion on how to reduce SAFELY the pretravel on my g17, and also how to have a CRISP and short letoff.

I have read all about competition trigger jobs, but nothing that can help me having a crisp, short, but relatively HEAVY trigger.

Any info really appreciated,thanks!

After having read all I can about trigger jobs on the web, I've polished all trigger group, stoned contact points, still, I've a trigger break that's mushy and far too long to have accuracy on small plates far away, and for real accurate shots.

The production rule in Italy states that we can not have trigger weights less than 6lbs (2.5kg) for the first shot. That suck bad for a glock shooter.

I need some suggestion on how to reduce SAFELY the pretravel on my g17, and also how to have a CRISP and short letoff.

I have read all about competition trigger jobs, but nothing that can help me having a crisp, short, but relatively HEAVY trigger.

Any info really appreciated,thanks!

Options you may consider:

1. Install a 8.5lb connector, or

2. Leave the stock 5.5lb connector and install a NY1 trigger spring

I've fooled around with combinations of different connector weights and the NY1 trigger spring. I got the best results from the 5.5lb connector and the NY1 trigger spring with the coil spring removed from the plastic leaf spring. However, I've reverted all of my Glocks (competition and carry) to stock trigger configs with only very light polishing and no significant modification.

There are several things holding me back from moving up a class in USPSA production division. My glock trigger's pre-travel and breaking weight are least of my concerns.

I don't know how easy it is to obtain parts from the US but this is my suggestion. Get a production legal trigger kit from Charlie Vanek(most awesome out there IMO at vanekcustom.com).

Install that kit and use the NY1 trigger spring to adjust the pull weight. Try it with and without the coil spring to yield your 6 pound limit. It will be super smooth throughout the trigger pull,it will be as crisp as you can get a glock trigger and it will have the limited overtravel. It will have slightly less pre travel than stock but it will be so smooth you won't feel it. His kit is the shiznit. I have tried to duplicate it many times and still cannot match it. I get close but cannot match it.

If you are skilled and do not mind ruining a few trigger bars to get similar results-the smoothness of the trigger pull is in the proper radius of the nose of the trigger bar and adjustment of the tab where the trigger return spring attaches. Use a factory glock 3.5 pound connector or a Lone Wolf connector. You can also try the 5 pound connector with Vaneks kit for about a 4.25 pound smooth pull. I run a 5 pound connector in my G19 carry gun with a slightly modified trigger bar for smoothness. I love the way it feels. There are several combinations to try that will yield what you are looking for. You also may want to contact JoeD and see if he will prep you a trigger bar and send it to you albeit much cheaper than Vanek. He also knows how to get the slicky boy triggers out them G-Locks

Since you are in Italy, you are probably shooting IPSC. In IPSC, you are not allowed to do any trigger work except "minor" polishing to get rid of burrs, hence, you cannot install a trigger from Vanek. Now, I don't know which connector you have, but the 3.5# connector will still keep you above the 6Lbs (I thought the rule for IPSC was 5 Lbs?). You will not be able to get rid of the "long" trigger pull. You just have to dry fire a lot to get use to the trigger set up.

Another option is to use the 3.5 lbs connector with the NY-1 trigger if the regular trigger falls less than the 2.5 kg pull..

The rule is 2.27 kg or 5 lbs...

http://www.ipsc.org/

Production Division

1 Minimum power factor for Major Not applicable

2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125

3 Minimum bullet weight No

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length 9mm (0.354”) / 19mm (0.748")

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major Not applicable

6 Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix F2) 2.27 kg (5lbs) for first shot

7 Maximum handgun size Maximum barrel length 127mm (5”)

8 Maximum magazine length Yes, see below.

9 Maximum ammunition capacity No

10 Max. distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders from torso 50mm

11 Rule 5.2.3.1 applies Yes

12 Restriction on position of holster and other equipment Yes, see below.

13 Optical/electronic sights permitted No

14 Compensators permitted No

15 Ports permitted No

Only handguns approved and listed on the IPSC website may be used in Production Division.

Single-action-only handguns are prohibited. Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked. First shot attempted must be double action. Competitors in this Division who, after the issuance of the start signal and prior to attempting the first shot, cock the hammer on a handgun which has a loaded chamber, will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence. Note that a procedural penalty will not be assessed in respect of courses of fire where the ready condition requires the competitor to prepare the handgun with an empty chamber. In these cases, the competitor may fire the first shot single action.

Neither the handgun, nor any of its attachments, nor any allied equipment (e.g. magazines or other loading devices), can extend forward of the line illustrated in Appendix F3. Any such items a Range Officer deems not to be in compliance must be safely and promptly adjusted, failing which Rule 6.2.5.1 will apply.

Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:

Modifications to them, other than minor detailing, are prohibited. Prohibited modifications include changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.

Base plates and/or any other devices which provide additional ammunition capacity (e.g. "+2" magazine extensions), are prohibited.

Sights may be trimmed, adjusted and/or have sight black applied.

Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:

Aftermarket magazines which match the external dimensions of standard magazines offered by the OFM for the approved handgun are permitted.

Aftermarket sights of the same type and kind offered by the OFM for the approved handgun are permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun.

Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips is permitted, however, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

A competitor who fails to comply with any of the requirements above will be subject to Rule 6.2.5.1

Thank you for your replies,

You all stand VERY correct saying that correct use of the stock glock trigger system is the foundation for evolving into a better glock shooter.

HOWEVER, I think that the stock glock system can be altered to better take advantage of it.

What I do want, is a bit less pretravel, a strong reset (as short as it can be) and a CRISP AND SHORT letoff.

The letoff is what bug me more, in my glock, is VERY long I really have to concentrate to keep sights centered during long range shooting.

Maybe the revered JoeD may work his magic on a trigger bar to suit my needs, I will try to contact him to know if he's willing to send some items oversea!

HOWEVER, I think that the stock glock system can be altered to better take advantage of it.

Again - if you are shooting IPSC, you cannot alter the system (legally).

You only really have to endure the long trigger pull for the first shot. After that, all you have to do is release the trigger until you hear/feel a click. At that point, the trigger has been reset and ready for fire. It's very short compared to any other stock DA gun. There are no pre-travel that you have to deal with at that point. Use a 3.5 lbs connector and the release (let off) is very short and quick.