Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arredondo +1 basepads (STI/SVI)

pevadijk

I think the arredondos are just as hard to remove as anything elses thats out there. I have the stock ones, arredondos and dawson international ones and they all take about the same amount of effort to remove.

off topic pevadijk,

how far is the Assen TT track from where you're at?

So I guess that isn't going to be any improvement ;-)

I just received BUL basepads that I ordered from Saul Kirsch and they are attached with a pin, but are easily removable and quite sturdy.

To make them work I only have to angle the sides a bit, otherwise they won't fit my STI magwell.........but that's easily done.

BTW, I live about 225km from Assen, but 'up north' the roads are less filled, so I can be there in a little over 2 hours.

I personally prefer the Dawson international pad over the Arredondo, havn't tried the SVI.

Drilled a hole in the pad and built a small tool out of a small screw drive. The screw driver has a notch that fits over the spring to push it back so the pad, with a little practice, comes off easily. Version 2.0 will have the hole a little higher.

post-3253-1188177237.jpg

• 8 months later...
I personally prefer the Dawson international pad over the Arredondo, havn't tried the SVI.

Drilled a hole in the pad and built a small tool out of a small screw drive. The screw driver has a notch that fits over the spring to push it back so the pad, with a little practice, comes off easily. Version 2.0 will have the hole a little higher.

post-3253-1188177237.jpg

Bringing this back up, since the Dawson International pads are killing me, to get them off. The end of the spring keeps getting pulled out of the tube along with the pad.

CenTX -- what do you mean by having the 'hole a little higher'?

Anyone -- are there other tricks for removing this style of pad? Thx!

I have modified my (Grams) spring so that the loop/bend is at the front of the magazine: that way it's easy to grasp the spring with a grinded down screw driver (through the slot between mag and pad) and just slide the pad off..........I read this tip somewhere here on the forum.

With unmodified springs, the basepad is hard to remove though.

post-3253-1188177237.jpg

Bringing this back up, since the Dawson International pads are killing me, to get them off. The end of the spring keeps getting pulled out of the tube along with the pad.

CenTX -- what do you mean by having the 'hole a little higher'?

Anyone -- are there other tricks for removing this style of pad? Thx!

Move the hole more towards the center of the pad. The tool I made, from a cut off round screw driver, has a "U" in the tip. It fits trough the hole in the pad and is used to push the spring up so that the end of the spring is not pulled out of the tube along with the pad.

edited for clarity

Edited by CenTX

Hmm....made this tool last night -- good use for a cheap POS Chinese screwdriver that always seem to be in every drawer (until you *need* one). Then I drilled the base-pads as in your picture only with the hole in the back corner of the pad.

It's -- better, but not perfect. I still have a hard time getting the very last coil out of the way, and it flips up and wants to be dragged along with the pad. Maybe I'll combine this trick with bending the last coil somehow. I also filed and sanded the tabs on the mag so the base pad really slides on/off as easily as possible. What a pain these things are.