Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Microsoft Front Page

EricW

Guess I'm odd one out #4. I loved frontpage, but then again, I LIVE in the MS Office programs and found it extremely to easy to learn how to use because the commands were all the same. I did get finally get pissed when MS wouldn't support FP 97 anymore and moved on up to Dreamweaver then.

I've been building and managing websites professionally for ISP's and large corporations for about eight years now and probably have a few hundred sites out there w/ my finger prints on them. I've used Front Page, BBEdit, GoLive, DreamWeaver, HomeSite, Notepad, WordPad, PageMill, HTML Kit and a half a dozen other web editors. They don't know it but there's even a 60 page site out there for a regional bank that was built using Mac "stickies" just because someone bet me I couldn't.

When it comes to personal or small business sites, I'm a firm believer in going with whatever you're most comfortable with. I don't really recommend Front Page because it makes ugly code and the extensions can create big security holes but for a lot of people wanting to build a small personal site it seems to work out great.

Adobe sent me a copy of Go-Live 4.0 that I played around with for a couple weeks. It was nice but it seemed to me that it tried to do everything while doing nothing really completely. Maybe later versions have gotten better.

If you don't mind actually seeing the code, I recommend either Macromedia Homesite for PC or BBEdit for Mac. If you would rather not see it then I vote for DreamWeaver MX. It seems to do the best job of translating the GUI into relatively clean and light code.

Oh, and since this is a "Hate" forum, I hate any application with a "helpful paper clip".

John