Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sanity check. Defective powder die

I'm converting my .40 SDB to a 9mm press. While installing my powder die & funnel, I ran into a problem. The powder funnel does not drop thru the bottom of the die nearly as far as the old .40 setup. You can see the difference in opening size at the bottom of the dies; .531 old in the tool head vs .436 new.

Is the new die wrong, or it the old die, or is it me? This is my first attempt at reloading so be kind :)

post-11114-1187796725.jpg post-11114-1187796731.jpg

I just called Dillon and they're sending a new die my way. However, I'd still like to know if it's me or the die :rolleyes:

Edited by Cavediver

Hello: Welcome Square Deal B user. On my Square Deal B the 9mm and the 40 come out of the adjuster the same amount. The 9mm powder is cut further up than the 40 powder die. Are you sure you have the 9mm powder funnel in the 9mm die? The 9mm powder funnel is a "F" and the 40 is a "W". Also check the powder die to see if does not have a dent in the end of it or a burr. You will love your Square deal ;-). Thanks, Eric

Update:

As I guessed, it was the powder die. It looks like the bottom was not milled out enough.

I called Dillon on Wednesday; they said they'd get a replacement in the mail. I was expecting Monday or Tuesday, but it arrived today!

Thank you Dillon customer service!