Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for 3-inch M64

Revopop

I just moved to Des Moines, IA and shot my first match at OOPS. Great club, great bunch of folks. They're having a Single Stack/Revolver match next month, and I don't have a Single Stack or a suitable(read: 625) revolver, so I'll be shooting my new S&W M64 for fun. I don't have a holster yet, except the nylon POS that came with it. I plan to use this for carry, but I'd like recommendations for a decent holster I can get on the cheap that will work for a match and maybe carry. Also, I'll need speedloader holders. I just ordered a Safariland CII and a CIII to see which one I like better.

It is hard to find an off the shelf holster for 3" revolvers. I use Blade-Tech belt holsters for my M-13 & M-65. I had to order them special for the 3" barrel. Several companies make Kydex holsters and you can always use the 4" holster if you cannot get one made in time. Good leather holsters are usually expensive and normally take several months to get. Talk with Mike Carmoney, maybe someone who is going to the match has a holster you can borrow

For competition, the Comp III are the way to go. Bigger surface to grab the speedloader and the spring drives the rounds into the cylinder. For carry purpose, I like the Comp IIs. They hold the rounds more solid than the HKS speedloader and you do not have to think about twisting knobs under stress. The Comp II is small enough to fit in jacket pockets. Also pickup a couple of speedstrips for carry purposes.

There is a thread that shows a way to modify Comp IIIs to make them better. Bubber can walk you thru the steps. I believe he uses the Comp IIIs and Jetloaders (?). Enjoy the match!

Glockopop, I think we have an extra K-frame holster around that you can borrow if you don't find anything between now and the Back-to-Back match. Most of my revolver gear winds up being lent out to my buddies for that match, anyway!

Don Hume make a Yaqui Slide-style holster which you can see at http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPa...fm?ProductID=53

This isn't a be-all-end-all race holster, but it's not bad, and it's cheap. It holds its shape so you can re-holster with one hand. I've got one for K frames, and it gets used once in a while as a carry holster for my 2" M10.

You can order it from them - takes a couple of weeks, they're not fast on shipping - or get one from Gil Hebard Guns, 309.289.2700, in a couple of days and cheaper.

Glockopop, I think we have an extra K-frame holster around that you can borrow if you don't find anything between now and the Back-to-Back match. Most of my revolver gear winds up being lent out to my buddies for that match, anyway!

Thanks, I may end up taking you up on that.

Don Hume make a Yaqui Slide-style holster which you can see at http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPa...fm?ProductID=53

This isn't a be-all-end-all race holster, but it's not bad, and it's cheap. It holds its shape so you can re-holster with one hand. I've got one for K frames, and it gets used once in a while as a carry holster for my 2" M10.

I had one of those for my SIG 225 that I just traded, and it wasn't a bad holster for the money. Thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware they made those for revolvers. I'm mostly looking at IWB holsters for carry.

I actually got to get out to the range and shoot my new .38s today and test out the new speedloaders that arrived this morning. The CII actually worked better speed-wise than I expected. The Safariland speedloaders are clearly superior to the HKS ones both in terms of speed and keeping the rounds securely in the loader. I used the weak-hand reload with great success today too. I'm going to have to remove some material from the 4-dollar rubber boot grip that I got in order to use the speedloaders, but as far as shooting comfort that was 4 dollars well spent. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can shoot very quickly and accurately with the M64 and the small grips. The other new .38 is an M37 with standard stocks, and it was much less pleasant, especially one-handed. I think once I get a different grip on it (thanks for offering Carmoney) I'll do a lot better.

If you can't find anything else a Fobus works ok to start with. You would have to use a 4" one but it would work fine. And they are cheap. For speed loader holders I can't say anymore. I bought some kydex ones from a company that ran itself out of business because it was slow. So I got some kydex and made myself some more.