Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD .45 Service Model for IPSC/IDPA

burntcrispy

Hey guys. I've got a XD .45 Service Model (4 inch) and was thinking about using it for IPSC production and IDPA. I am considering using this pistol and developing some nice (softer) loads for it or just getting another in .40 cal. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on the better way to go? Since I will be limited to 10 rounds either way I'm mainly concerned with the recoil of the .40 vs .45. I haven't shot either loaded soft in an XD so I'm not sure what the difference would be. (Although if I get the .40 I would buy one with the 5 inch barrel)

Thanks.

Your gun is fine for Production. Go ahead and put some loads together for it. I shot a 4" XD9 in production and it worked great. With your .45 you can shoot major in L10 as well. But with mouse fart loads you'll have fun. Plus big bullets holes. :)

Jim

The main difference would be bullet and brass cost. You might like the 5" model a bit better as you can toy with the springs easier since there are guide rods for it that are designed to work with standard 1911 springs. With the 4" .45 there are much fewer options. If you have any XD questions, just drop me a PM or e-mail at scott@springerprecision.com

By all means, shoot the .45! Big holes, low pressure, soft recoil, BIG fun. I use my XD .45 Tactical, and love it. For some reason I shoot this gun better than all my others. It is amazingly accurate for an out of the box, production, service-type weapon. It's a great gun for production, L-10, or Limited (if you use the + 3 Arredondo basepads). Your XD Service model will do it all, too. Good luck! (I mean, good preparation) :blush:

Larry