Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revenue/Income

Jack Suber

I have been following the thread on the USPSA forums regarding cutting expenses. Most seems to focus on costs from the Nationals. I am curious, can anyone tell me what the largest source of revenue is for USPSA? Dues? Mission Count? Thanks

Bruce provided some figures on the USPSA forums (thanks Bruce). So, I asked the following question:

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. Those numbers make me wonder if our priorities are focused correctly? Shouldn't USPSA be focusing on increasing its largest source of income? This thread has been focusing on the Nationals, but I think we need to focus on the membership - increasing and developing membership at the local level. If it is only a small percentage of the membership that are attending nationals, area matches, etc., should the focus be there? Should we not devote the majority of our efforts to increase membership and participation at the local level? With the expanding anti-gun atmosphere and the loss of clubs (we have lost three clubs in South Carolina since 1999 - one to IDPA and SASS because that is what is bringing in the $$s), I think we should focus on recruiting members and clubs.

Nationals are great. But the nationals do nothing to get the guy or girl from the local indoor gun range to our local club for a USPSA match. Nor does it convince them to join USPSA (dues) and shoot classifiers (mission count). I guess what I am saying is that as a Section Coordinator, the Area matches or Nationals do nothing to help me recruit members. TV coverage of the nationals helps some, but it is so infrequent. I need advertising in local venues. Help me pay for tables at gunshows. Help me pay for periodic advertisements in local newsprint. We managed to get newspaper coverage this past year for our Toys for Tots match and Section Championship. Articles were run two weeks prior and following each event and THAT really boosted interest here.

I think over the next couple of years, the BOD, and the President should shift its focus to developing USPSA at the local/sectional level. It would be nice if Sections got help (read that as funding) from USPSA to host Sectional Championships or funds to help develop/recruit clubs. Perhaps waive the fees that we pay to USPSA from Sectional Championships so we can do more to attract shooters or help clubs that are bringing stages pay for props. God forbid, we may even be able to help ROs with lodging!

I guess that is the Republican in me.

Jack Suber, TY30299

South Carolina Section Coordinator

Thought I would throw this out on the BE.forum for thought.

How about we just have the discussion in one place instead of two? Everyone that should be interested in this should be a USPSA member and thus, can comment on the USPSA forum.

There is no purpose served by duplicating threads back and forth.

My 2 cents.