Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok, here's my dilemma. I want to shoot up to 600 yards with my 308 and 223 rifles but I don't just want to shoot into woods. I'm looking for backstop ideas that will stop or at least substantially slow rifle bullets at 100yards out to 600. I can't do pits because it's a field so I can't dig, or pile for that matter.

It was suggested to me that I wheel one of those large spools that they wrap telephone wire around. I have an old wood one sitting around and that's the best idea I have so far. I also can use steel, but size is limited. That spool is about 6-7 feet round so it should give me some room in case my windage and elevation calculations aren't exactly correct. That's about the size I'm looking for. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Irate

Oh sorry, I should have added that I want to spend as little as possible. But don't get me wrong, I would love to have a full-fledged range someday with something like that.

Irate

Plastic 55 gallon drums, you can scrounge them for free, fill em with shredded car tire rubber also free from landfills. a couple feet of shredded rubber chuncks will stop most rounds.

Oh sorry, I should have added that I want to spend as little as possible. But don't get me wrong, I would love to have a full-fledged range someday with something like that.

Irate

You can also try railroad ties. Just stack them up to make your backstop. Should stop about anything and if you just build a simple small backstop should be fairly cheap.

Found this on the net too after a quick search. See test #2

http://users.iafrica.com/h/he/henties/bulletbaffles.htm

Plastic 55 gallon drums, you can scrounge them for free, fill em with shredded car tire rubber also free from landfills. a couple feet of shredded rubber chuncks will stop most rounds.

Caution: NON-STEEL BELTED TIRES ONLY!!! We used shredded tires as our backstop at Shooters Paradise - until it caught fire & burned the range down (likely due to tracers). BUT - point is that if there is steel in the tire shredds or tires, firing rifle bullets (especially the old USGI steel jacketed .30 cal) into them could result in more sparks than you would want. The tire material we used was bought from Caswell at a high price - but none of it contained steel or steel-belt.

hit Suffolk Landfill they have to piles, on with and one without steelbelted, either way for the original poster, using them outdoors, and pretty much a one man show not a comercial range either would work fine,,, I get the impression it isnt his land, more like a farm field he has acess too, Go find a cheap trailer, ATV, boat what have ya build back stop on that drive it in place.