Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gunsablazin: progress report

gunsablazin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I was able to get in alot of good solid draw and dryfire practice at home. Sundays trip to the range was great! Beautiful fall day and 200 rds. of .45 ACP ammo what could better? Set up the classifier and some poppers and target stands, worked on Bills drills and transitions and sections of the classifier for 100 rds. and finished up with the classifier as a non stop run. Time 111.09 just barely made CDP EX, but I made it! Shot the first two stages great, blew stage three. But I made it. Now to focus on stage 3 until I can shoot it every time like it should be shot. Failure drills are getting better, running around 2.5 got one in 2.09, I am going to practice them shooting for a consistant 2.25 or better. I have shaved 26 sec. off of the classifier in 6months so another 20 sec. should not be too hard. Master class or bust!

Robin B)

Head colds suck!! picked up a virus of some sort from one of my kids or coworkers, felt like crap all week. Today I am feeling somewhat more like myself which is good as I plan to do some reloading tonight, and dryfire some too. I have two more live practices and one local match before the TN state IDPA match. Picked up a really nice Glock 35 for 400.00 don't plan to shoot it at a match for a while, CDP is where I'm staying until I make MA. That should give me plenty of time to get my match gear together! A shooting buddy asked me how I plan to shave 20 more seconds off my classifier time, I told him I'm not going to do that I'm going to shave a sec. here a .5 sec there and pretty soon I'll be where I want to be. IDPA does not stand for "I don't practice any more".

Robin ;)

Last day of work before vacation!! Taking my wife and kids to the beach for a few days, really looking forward to some R&R. Tonight I am going to the range to get in some practice, will not shoot the whole classifier today, but will break down the sections that need the most work. That is long range stage 3 mainly. Going to Oak Ridge in the morning for my last match before the state match on the 20th.They post their stages on the web, so I print them out and work on any of the really challenging stuff. They have a stage calling for 2 to the body 1 to the head on two targets while retreating, that will be a good place to start. ORSA puts on a really good IDPA match, I always enjoy the stages and the nice folks who run the match. It will be my first match as EX, I am planning to shoot like one!

Robin B)

Got back from Florida Friday night, had a great trip! If you are ever in the Pensacola area be sure to visit the Naval Aviation Museum, very interesting indeed. It is on a military base, so leave your carry gun at the hotel! Thanks ET45, I had a pretty good day at ORSA, good stages, good squad, FUN! Being away from my competition gear for a week was strange, when I geared up Sat. night I could tell I was not as smooth/fast. Spent some time in slow motion and slowly eased back up to normal speed and in about 30 min. things started feeling right again. Went to the range on Sun. spent around 3 hours and 250 rds. We ran a bunch of basic drills, el prez, bills drills, failure drills, strong/support hand and finished up with the classifier. I had my best ever run on the classifier of 106.96, my times on the close stuff is getting better, and the 20 yd. accuracy is getting better as well. I took Brian's book to Florida and found yet more insight to the new things I am seeing as I shoot. Sunday I ran a 8.4 el prez on the classifier only 1 down, and realised when it was done I shot the whole thing in a type 2 focus, not intentionally, it just seemed that it was all I needed at the time. At ORSA I shot a popper with my 9th and final round before a reload, I was reloading as the plate fell and I never heard the hit. It bothered me until I read BE had a similar thing happen to him, the crux of it is if you called your shot you don't need to hear the hit. My plan for this week is to practice at home every night. I am going to ease up on the weight lifting and do more cardio, the state match is Sat. and I do not want to be stiff and sore for that. I chronoed my load to make sure I am making PF, no problem there. Loaded all the ammo I will need for the match and practice Fri. The plan is to go and shoot like I can shoot, and have some fun with my friends regardless of the outcome.

Robin B)

I managed to get in 2 hours of good practice at home last night. The Giants/Falcons game was so uninspiring it was not hard at all to focus on practice. I don't usually practice for that length of time dry-firing, but after a week off it did not get tiring at all. I worked on transitions and reloads, "blind' draws etc. The blind work was off some from my usuall performance, I am sure the week off did that, it was frustrating me until I finally realised I was trying to force it. Relaxation is the key and soon it was getting back on again. After work I'm going to take a long walk and get back at it. Win,place or show I really just wan't to shoot to my personal best on Sat. Nothing to it but to do it!

Robin B)

Tn State IDPA match in the morning!!! Really looking forward to having some fun. Going to stop by the range tonight on the way home to do a very brief relaxed practice. I cleaned my gun last weekend and I have a supersticion about shooting a match with a clean gun, so I'll put a few rounds downrange and call it dirty! My plan for tomorrow is simple, focus on every shot I fire and shoot each stage like I am capable of doing. Oh, did I mention having fun, that's paramount to my performance.

Robin B)

What a day! I love it when practice actually pays off. I shot the State Match Sat. and it was FUN. Kurt Glick and his squad of SO's did a great job, the stages were good the weather could not have been better. I shot the match the way I wanted to, that is I stuck to my plan of not thinking about results, the last stage, the next stage or anything but the task at hand. I did not even look at the course descriptions in the match book. I shot 9 of 18 stages clean and smooth, I was only 23 down for the whole match (11.5) that was 7th most accurate. I finished 2nd CDP-EX at 183.02, fired 184 rds total, for me to be under a second per rd. is good. I was 4th CDP, 19th of 107 for the match. I also was drawn for the prize table and got a Wilson mag well for my Springfield, I had been wanting a magwell for a while anyway, I've heard they help. I would like to thank the shooters on this forum, the things I have learned here have been a tremendous help to my shooting. Beyond Fundamentals has been an eye opener as well. I am nowhere near the shooter I would like to be someday, but I shot to my capacity Sat. you can only do what you can do and I am pleased to have done just that. Oh, did I mention it was Fun! (I did fire one hoper, D***it, hit hard cover on a limited stage.)

Robin :)

Back to dryfiring everyday, reload practice seems smoother with the magwell on the gun. You can't buy skill I know, but all the years of reloading without one lets me appreciate the difference. I have always thought full length spring guides were useless as well, but the magwell made me wonder if the few ounces of weight might help in recoil control. I put the guide back in along with a new recoil spring, I'm going to shoot it and see if it feels any different. No match coming up this weekend , so its off to the range to practice. I need to put alot more effort into strong/support hand shooting as well as longer range shots. The plan is to start with that and move on to the classifier to finish up on. I am going to master class, I can see it just up in the distance, I think know how to get there from here!

Robin

Jeez.. Finally got a line on some primers and bullets! Masterblasterbullets are gone, I had been using them for almost a year and loved them, but they are gone. Today I was able to get 5000 Federal LPP, I normally use WNWLP, but the federals were available so I will give them a try. Also picked up 8lbs. WW 231 that should last a while. I ordered 4000 Precision .45 230 RN since the delivery is time3-4 weeks I got some Magnus .45 230 RN, they are a conventional cast bullet, they will have to do for a few weeks. I have at least three matches coming up in Nov., kinda hard to compete without bullets dontja know. I will be doing my dryfire routine every day until I can get to the range on Sun. for some noisy practice! I'll be really glad when the reloading supply crisis is over, not that money is no object with me, but I'll take availibility over price any day. Somethings I can do without, food,shelter,clothing etc., but I MUST have ammo! I don't love this so I can dryfire, I love to shoot.

Robin :wacko:

The weekend is here at last! Had to cut back on the dry firing this week due to pain in my right forearm, it is feeling some better. Live fire tonight after work, going to do some Bill's drills, El-Prez, and left hand work. I'm limiting this practice to 100 rds and it will probably be the last Fri. night practice for the year due to the time change. Going to Oak Ridge in the morning for an IDPA match, ORSA post there stages on line, they have one at a tennis court! I don't play tennis so I hope its not to hard! If any body out there plays tennis, what type of firearm do you carry on court? I would think my 1911 would slow down my game! So much for could this happen in real life. Ah, what the hell only the shooting matters anyway. Don't think I won't give 'em hell tomorrow for that stage! I had a good practice last Sun. fired at least 200 rds .45 and 300 .22's, put the scope back on my 10-22 shooting Remington Thunderbolts at 100 yds is a joke with that ammo. Promotional .22s I know, but you could hear them bang,bang,pop,boom bang etc. at 100 yds groups would string vertically at least 8", so it is a 50 yd gun with that ammo. Thats OK I only use it on cans and clay targets anyway. While at the range I picked up at least 1000 .40 S&W cases, they were laying all over the pistol bays, I don't even have dies yet nor have I even shot my Glock but I am starting to get the stuff together,hopefully by spring I can start playing with my new toy. Good luck to all at the games this weekend!

Robin ;)

Sometimes I wonder what I use for a brain. Shot ORSA IDPA Sat. morning, my squad started on stage 1 which was the most difficult stage of the day, the jokers I was shooting with thought it would be funny to get the SO to have me shoot it first, well somebody has to go first so I didn't fuss about it. I LAMR not knowing what the hell I was going to do, and naturally shot the stage like a novice with ten thumbs. That did take all the pressure off the rest of the match! Ah well I ended up 2nd CDP and 6th overall out of 44 shooters, so at least I shot the other 5 stages like I knew what was going on. In spite of it all I did have fun and got some really good ideas on what I need to practice on. In the past matches shooting on the move has been a fairly close range deal, but they have been moving the targets out to 12-15 yds. or so here lately, I have dropped a few more points on those targets than I would like, so that needs to be worked out. I need to brush up on swingers, strong hand and left hand always need work. On a more positive note my transitions have really improved here lately as have my splits. The magwell really does seem to have sped up my reloads. I bought an arm band for my right forearm and that has reduced the pain to the point where I can get back on my dryfire routine. As always I have much to do to achieve my goal of CDP-MA all it takes is work! Thank God its FUN!

Robin B)

Dave from Precision sent me notice my bullets are on the way. If their products are close to being as good as the customer service it is going to be a real pleasure doing business with them. The forearm band I got has allowed me to get back to my normal dryfire practice this week! It is nice to practice without pain. CHRPC 3- Gun is coming up this Sat., I'll probably shoot in FS class, substituting AR-15 for 1911. I need to work on stage 3 of the classifier, when I master the barricade I will achieve CDP-MA. I've been getting brass and load info for the .40, hope to start shooting it by early spring. I have mixed emotions about putting down the 1911 for a Glock, but I'm sure I'll adjust.(eventually!)

Robin B)

The Precision bullets got in on Fri. have not loaded any to test as yet, Hopefully I'll get to that this week. Went to the range Sat. morn, but decided pistol practice was more important than playing 3-Gun. Ran through 180+ rds. in my .45 mainly focusing on left hand to start with. That went very well at this point I shoot as well left as I do right, all that dry fire helps. Shot some Bill's drills, El-Prez, and worked on moving and shooting at longer range, out to 15 yds. or so. The ammo ran out before I was tired of shooting, thankfully I had my MK-II and 150 rds. so I shot that up,again mostly left handed. Productive practice and very nice weather to be outside in. I wore the arm band while shooting and it does help alot, I have been gently stretching and working the arm some and it does feel better. I got a link off of this forum somewhere with excercises and stretches to help and that was some good info.(thanks) Work is going to be all consuming this week so I probably won't get to shoot before the match on Sat. dryfire will have to suffice, unless any of my fans would like to become sponsors I'm going to have to keep punching that clock! My buddy Richard is going to help me to build a new reloading bench in Jan. I have an alcove in my basement where my current assortment of tables are located, they are going to be replaced with one 9' bench which will be enough room to mount all the presses I own plus the new 550 I am going to order from BE in a couple of weeks. I have an old 550 that is going to be the dedicated .45 ACP press and use the new one for all the small pistol primer stuff. I considered a 650, but I already have a bunch of tool heads and spare parts for the 550 and I like its simplicity besides 400 rds or so an hour is fast enough to suit me. CHRPC IDPA match is Sat. and our annual cookout after the games are concluded, hopefully a win-win situation. I'll be back.

Robin B)

Robin,

I have just read all of your progress and you are truly committed to the elusive CDP Master. Reading everything that you have done so far and where you are at, you're a few months behind my own learning curve. Keep up the good work, you're almost there! I started my quest for CDP Master last December, and finally made it at the GA state match with a win in CDP/EX and 4th overall CDP. After I hit that mark, I took my Glock 34 out for fun at a local match's classifier and shot master after only having the gun for about a week... So much for that run, now to ESP. I really think that once you hit the master in CDP, anything else is easy. CDP is probably the hardest class for a semi-auto, in that you're shooting a 45 steel gun with 8 rounds.

Your journey is soon to come to fruition, and here are a few suggestions and comments from my personal experience..

- The 3rd stage of the classifier IS the classifier. It is really a mini bullseye match in disguise. You really have to use your front AND rear sights with this one. When I shot the classifier the last few times, I slowed myself down mentally and made the shots count, and was rewarded with less points down than on the first two stages. The accuracy component is what separates master from expert. I was fortunate enough to take a Larry Vickers class and he calls himself the accuracy nazi, but his over emphasis on accuracy is what really made me get over that hump. During his class, we used IDPA targets with 25yd pistol bulls on them, and only hits on black counted. This was a very mentally fatiguing setup, but I now incorporate it all the time and you would really be surprised how much more accurate you can be on a regular IDPA target.

- Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. You are definitely doing your part with this and you have seen the benefits. It is amazing to me how many guys want to be better but just don't get it that you need to be hands on with the gun ALOT. Way to go with that.

- I also read Brian Enos' book over the summer, and while it messed with my head, it clarified so much at the same time. It is really cool when you start seeing things click yourself.

- On match day, you really have to clear your mind, especially before the buzzer. I get pre-match butterflies all the time, but I have learned to be able to what I like to say "clear out my inner-self and become one with the gun." Everyone will have a different way of doing it, but being able to use the most brain power for seeing, analyzing and shooting what's in front of you is very important. I know you commented on being first, but this is where clearing your mind really comes into play. Run the course through your head, but not over and over and examining everything that can go wrong. Look for a good way to shoot it, and your mind will follow that path and may even find another way that's better, just through having a clear mind.

- Don't be afraid to take a day or two off. Over the summer, I was shooting 3-4 times a week with tons of dry-fire mixed in. While I did see a lot of improvement, some of the times I shot my best were when I couldn't get to shoot for a maybe 4-5 days and only dry fired a bit. You can definitely saturate your brain with everything, and sometimes you need a break. Think of this like weight lifting, you need some days of rest and let everything readjust.

Once again, let me say keep up the good work. I've seen that you shoot in Cleveland, TN, and would definitely like to make it up that way for some of the IDPA matches. If I didn't have a commitment this Saturday, I'd drive on over as you're only an hour away. I'm located on the GA/TN line over by Ducktown/Copperhill. I mainly shoot around the north part of GA, but I made it up to your October 3 gun and had a great time. Good luck with your journey and hopefully we can meet up and shoot sometime.

Sean Murphy

Work last week was indeed a pain, but it did not keep me from dry firing at home. I think I should start bringing my gun to work and practicing here, it is a gun friendly place afterall! Gonna' have to load some Precisions to try out this week, getting a little low on ammo (where does it go?) I am not really concerned about those bullets from the looks of them. I did manage to sneak away from work last Fri. to get in 100 rds. of practice before the Sat, morning match at CHRPC. I shot pretty well with a first place CDP, third overall, second most accurate out of 32 shooters, not bad. On the other hand we had a strong hand only string at 10 yds. for 12 shots and I did lose too many points on that to be proud, I let the desire for speed cause me to lose visual patience and rushed a few shots, even at the time I was doing it I knew better. Sometimes I do things even I don't understand, but I'll bet I'm not alone! The match itself was 6 stages, most of them had movers such as a swinger and out&back, clamshell, and one dissapearing target I'm not sure what to call, all set in motion by poppers the size of bowling pins. One of these small poppers was engaged while retreating and had a non-threat behind it. I had a blast, but thought some of this may have been a little much for the newer shooters, we are talking IDPA here. That is just my opinion, I did not hear any complaints, we'll know if they come back I geuss. The Oak Ridge club is having a Toys for Tots shoot this coming Sat. It will be seven stages 200 rds. shot like IPSC, scored IDPA style. It costs $10 and a new unwrapped toy to shoot, it should be alot of fun. I started dryfiring again last night and plan to do so all week, practice at CHRPC on Fri. and match Sat., life is good. Gotta get back to work on the classifier Fri. I plan to work mainly on stage 3 shooting around that D*#@ barricade. Also strong hand, left hand and some close high speed practice for Saturdays little adventure. Thats about it for now, good luck to all at the games.

Robin B)

Edited by gunsablazin

Placed my order for a new Dillon 550 today. Now I've gotta get my new bench built and my work area cleaned up and ready for it, its going to be nice when I get er done. I'll have to post some before and after pics. Loading some precision bullets tonight to try on Fri. no blasting until then, dryfire, dryfire, dryfire. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Robin :cheers:

Got in a short practice Fri. after work, fired the first batch of Precisions no problems with them so far, but the chrono at the club was locked up so I'll have to check velocity later. Made it to ORSA for the Toys for Tots match, it was 7 stages 5 of which were IPSC, all scored like IDPA. It was the first time I had shot IPSC anything in almost 20 yrs. I saw some techniques I have never seen before!! Running uprange with your gun pointing behind you downrange? who would have thunk it! I had a blast! it was really alot of fun once I got into the swing of things. There were 56 shooters at the match and I finished up 11th so I didn't have too bad of a day. One of our forum members did really well(nice shooting Madcap Magician) it was fun to watch you shoot. The IPSC I remember from years ago has changed quite a bit, after I make a little more progress in IDPA I'm going to start shooting it at least some of the time. Too bad the closest IPSC club to me is 2 hours away. I am planning to take a break from shooting matches for most of Dec. between family functions and the real need to get in some serious and focused practice my range time is going to be more precious than usual. I need to work on my transitions ( right MM) and practice around the barricade and shoot the classifier at least once or twice. To the folks at ORSA, Thanks for putting on a good match for a great cause!

Robin B)

One draw back to living in the boonies and having a big yard is yard work. I will not be going to ORSA to shoot tomorrow because I'm so far behind with the **** leaves. I just hope I can get it done so I can practice late Sunday at CHRPC. The CHRPC match is on the 15th and my Masonic Lodge is delivering fruit baskets to our widows and 50 yr. brothers on that day, so while not shooting at least I will be doing something worthwhile. So it looks like taking a break from matches in Dec. is a done deal, I just hope to practice as much as possible. I have been working in my reloading room this week and it is ready for the new bench and Dillon 550, while cleaning I took a look at the score sheets from the matches I shot in 2007. I had 2 overall wins at CHRPC a 2nd overall at ORSA, 2nd CDP SS in the IDPA forums postal match, 2nd CDP SS at the Summer Sizzler, 2nd CDP EX at the TN State IDPA championship match and I did not count the times I won CDP class at club matches, but it was often. I had a pretty good year and am pleased with the progress I have made, I also made several new friends and met alot of really nice people and one butthole not a bad average! It was FUN. Next year I hope to make CDP-MA and get started in SSP.

Robin ;)

LEAVES!!!! I got them, all of them, took me two days of hard labor. I did not practice last weekend at all other than some dryfire Sun. night. The tendonitis in my right arm is starting to get better, the excercises and stetches I found on the forum really helped. I was in a good bit of pain for a few weeks especially shooting and dryfiring strong hand only. I'm really looking forward to getting back to pain free practice. I don't notice it so much when I'm shooting,but I'm sure it slows me down at least a little and that I don't need! I did not shoot at ORSA on Sat. however my buddy RW did and had his best match ever, finishing 5th overall out of 38 shooters. I wish I had been there to see it, when he starts kicking my tail I hope he will help me! I have got to get to the range, I have not skipped a weekend of some sort of shooting in over a year, now I have withdrawals. I may have to use my private backyard range if I can make it home before dark, lighting off a few .22's should ease the need at least a little.

Master or Bust!!!

Robin B)

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to the range on Sun. for a short practice, shot my Glock 35 for the first time, it shoots good I only fired it 50 rds. I think I will like when I shoot it more, I was making left handed head box shots at 15 yds. with it which is a good sign. Picked up a bucket of .40 brass and a few .45's, unfortunately when I got home and polished the .40's I discovered some A-Merc brass in the mix after I had dumped it in my .40 bucket! I now have a sorting job to do to throw that crap out. I was saving up my cash to buy a chrono of my very own, the club put the one I was using under lock and key,but I spent it on books I ordered from Brians store today. The chrono can wait until Jan. I am going to spend some time studying and practicing since I can't shoot matches until Jan. The tendonitis in my right arm is still getting better, I noticed this morning that something was different and it hit me that I realised I was not in pain. Have got in quite a bit of dry-fire this week, and rereading sections of Beyond Fundamentals. Read somewhere it is best when practicing with a .22 not to shoot the same target twice in row, use it for transitions, trigger control, calling shots etc., but due to lack of recoil it is no good for "double taps". I'm not saying that should be the 11th comandment, but there is some truth to it. I've rambled enough for one day, good luck to all you lucky SOB's shooting matches this coming weekend!

Robin B)

Not being able to get to the range has given me time to really think about my shooting. I have been reading Brians book again and I always get something out of it I didn't see before. I can't wait to get out and shoot and see if studying has helped change my focus, I have not had a problem shooting based on what I see, but the recoil control issue I missed, I can see the sights rise,but I think I have been trying (bad word) to muscle the gun instead of just letting it time itself. I know I have let tension creep back into my speed shooting at the close stuff. The goal for next practice is going to be focused on relaxing and watching the gun do its thing and just thinking about what I really want to acomplish,

(put holes in 0 zone as quickly as I possibly can). I have the day off on Fri. and I will be getting to range for nice long day of shooting and experimenting. The easiest thing in this sport is to become a "habit" shooter, as soon as you think you have it figured out you have to start all over.

Merry Christmas

Robin :)