Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para PXT Magazines

Dan Mancini

With my P16, I use para mags with Dawson basepads. If I load 18 rounds or more the follower locks up inside the mag.

The mags worked fine until the springs wore out and I had to replace them. I have tried new springs, stock para and ISMI, but the problems persist. I just got some Wolff +10% but haven't had a chance to try them.

What's happening is the bead rolling on the sides of the mags stops about an inch from the bottom of the mag, when you put the basepad on and load more than 17 rounds the follower slips below the bead and locks up inside. They should hold 20 rounds.

I don't know if the springs are not shaped correctly, maybe nose down or something.

I have found out that SVI mags seem to fit and function fine, STI mags are a little loose in the gun and I don't know yet if they function. But I don't know if I have to modify the mag release to use them.

I would prefer to stick to the para mags, I have 7 of them so it's gonna be expensive to repace them.

I would really appreciate any help.

Dan

Dan,

This is what I use in my Para based .40s:

2) Blued (actual blue, not that black paint coating) untuned

5) Tubes that had that thick paint coating. These 5 were tuned by Beven Grams. He removed the paint, shaped the tubes to spec, polished and hard chromed them

1) Nickel plated factory tube untuned.

I used Grams springs in all. I also had Beven put witness holes in all the tubes since I can't count. I use dawson basepads and Para factory followers. With unmodified followers, I get 20 rounds in any of the mags. The modified followers are Para factory that are filed down to look somewhat like Grams STI followers. I can get 21 rounds in those mags. I have been using the modified followers exclusively this year and I have yet to see any problems. Beven is working on a design for a captive follower like he uses for the STI mags but I am not sure when it will be ready (Beven????). The mags work great. My reloads are in the range of 1.15 to 1.175 OAL. using Rainier 180 and 135 plated and Armscor 180 FMJ

Later,

Chuck