Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You Be The Ro

Vince Pinto

Flex,

I agree the target stands need to be marked as per 2.1.8.1, BUT I can tell you that you get more consistent target placement laying targets over the original target, than trying to line up a target with some marks on the target stands. Of course, I always mark the stands, but I also always leave the original target as a template (and of course, I would never have to replace target stands if the shooters didn't keep shooting them!!! ;) )

Of course the difficulty with this is if the target sizes vary. Since these are standarized, I have only seen this happen a couple of times (if they are coming out of the same box/same manufacturer, they will generally be the same). When I get an over/under sized target, I will try to grab another one (assuming it is an open target), and try that. If there is a little bit of a size difference (and let's be real here, we are generally talking less than an eighth of an inch), I try to center the target as best I can.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian,

I agree with you 100%. I also prefer using a template, however I always spray them black.

If I personally change a target, I go to great pains to ensure the alignment is indentical so that we give each competitor a fair shake.

I also prefer using a template, however I always spray them black.

Vince, so when you set up a stage, do you place 'black' template targets, and then hang shoot targets on top OR do you hang your shoot targets, and once it is time for a target change, paint the original shoot target black before hanging the new shoot target. In other words, are the template targets only template targets, or were they once the original shoot target? Just curious....

I also prefer using a template, however I always spray them black.

Vince, so when you set up a stage, do you place 'black' template targets, and then hang shoot targets on top OR do you hang your shoot targets, and once it is time for a target change, paint the original shoot target black before hanging the new shoot target. In other words, are the template targets only template targets, or were they once the original shoot target? Just curious....

I was wondering the same thing myself. If the template target is completely lined up with the shoot target, what is the point of painting it black when it can't be seen?

If any of the black template target is visible doesn't that create another visual presentation issue if the black portion doesn't have the same exposure for each shooter?

Brian,

Either way is fine, but I prefer starting with a black template from the outset, with the first shoot target on top of it. Also there's no need to paint the whole template black - 2" round the whole edge will do.

However this alone does not obviate the need to also carefully mark the target stands, because the original template eventually gets shot to pieces and needs to be replaced. Of course the durability depends on the number of competitors.

Bear in mind that I primarily use the template for more important matches (i.e. not a weekend club shoot).