Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grrrr, Internet issues

Im having issues w/ my internet connection. Im hoping that one of you techno guinuses can help out.

I have a cable modem and im normally connect from that to a 4 port router. Normally when i connect my PC to the internet i have a connection on the local area connection and then through a gateway that is coming from my router. My g/f has a Mac and i have a AirPort connected to the router. Until earlier today the way i had it set up worked.

Here is the problem. I can connect directly to the modem but not through the router. My g/f has a Mac but she cannot connect directly to the modem or to her AirPort. Before i call the internet provider, i was wondering if anyone here could help me out?

Do i need a new modem or router? Or is there something else going on?

Ill be on for a few more hours. My AIM and Yahoo IM contact info is on my profile.

Thanks

Some ISPs validate your connection based in the MAC address of the network card. The problem you describe would appear to be consistent with your ISP having the MAC address of your PC registered, but not that of the router or g/f's computer - so there is a chance the ISP changed their validation procedure.

Look for the MAC Address Clone feature in your router and clone the MAC address of a PC that can connect directly - it may help.

Some ISPs validate your connection based in the MAC address of the network card. The problem you describe would appear to be consistent with your ISP having the MAC address of your PC registered, but not that of the router or g/f's computer - so there is a chance the ISP changed their validation procedure.

Look for the MAC Address Clone feature in your router and clone the MAC address of a PC that can connect directly - it may help.

I know a little about computers, but that went way over my head.

I'm connected to the modem now. How do i get a connection to work through the router?

When I had cable I had to occasionally power off the router for a few minutes then power it back on. This reboot usually fixed the problem. Good luck!

done that several times.

Im thinking if i throw it at the wall it might make me feel better. :angry2:

Im thinking if i throw it at the wall it might make me feel better. :angry2:

Yeah, but the cable company usually won't replace it if you bring in the pieces in a wal-mart bag :surprise:

I'm in much the same boat, but a power off and back on usually takes care of it.

I'm fortunate to have a son that "speaks the language" :cheers:

I know how frustrating it can be <_<

dj

I have Cox cable, and when I can't connect this works for me. Have your normal configuration, PC->Router->Modem. Then power off the computer, wait 30 seconds, pull the power cord out of the back of the Router, wait 30 seconds, then pull the power cord out from Modem. I normally wait from 5-10 minutes, then plug the modem back in and watch the lights, if the connected light lights ups and the data transfer light starts flashing, then plug the router back in and watch the lights. My has an Internet light, if that starts blinking I good to good, then I power my PCs on.

This works for me, I was told by the tech to pull the power cords out of the router and modem, not to use the Power buttons.

YMMV, but might be worth a try.

Bruce

The cable modem only wants to talk to one device at a time. It learns the MAC address of the device and keeps it in it's mem. So the way to teach it a new MAC address is to power it off for 10 or 15 min, plug the router only into the modem, power the modem back on. It should learn the MAC address of the router when the router starts sending traffic.

If it still doesn't work with a 15 minute off time you need to call your cable company.

Gringop

The cable modem only wants to talk to one device at a time. It learns the MAC address of the device and keeps it in it's mem. So the way to teach it a new MAC address is to power it off for 10 or 15 min, plug the router only into the modem, power the modem back on. It should learn the MAC address of the router when the router starts sending traffic.

The configuration file downloaded into a DOCSIS or DOCSIS-II complaint modem by the cable company contains a configuration parameter telling it how many mac addresses to concurrently serve - and this is generally set to one. In the described case, cloning the MAC address of the working maching into the router would have worked as well.

If you have problems like this, one of this first things to ask you provider is "do you validate based on MAC address" - some require that your MAC address be configured at the ISP, wheas others do not.