Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a new AR-15....now what?

glockrocker

I just bought a new M&P AR-15. This is my first. I have a Dillon 550 that I load .40 and 9mm with. I have a mentor that has helped me with learning how to load my pistol ammo, but I want to load .223 and from what I gather in these forums the process is more involved with rifle ammo. Can anyone refer a comprehensive source that I can use to educate myself on the processes involved in brass preparation and all aspects of loading for .223? I don't doubt that there are many publications, but I would like a source recommended by someone who has had success with it from start to finish.

Taking guidance from a thread in this forum, I just purchased 2k pcs of processed military brass from Top Brass. I now need bullets. I found Hornady 223 .224 55 grain FMJ bullets online for $82 per k. Would this be a good bullet for target practice and 3-gun? I have seen the thread on powder and will have to make a choice there too along with primers. I plan on seeking advice at future USPSA matches, but I bought this rifle on an impulse and am anxious to get started.

Any help will be appreciated.

Go to http://www.zediker.com/ and buy the following books by Glen Zediker

THE COMPETITIVE AR15 (The mousegun that roared!)

HANDLOADING FOR COMPETITION (Making the target bigger!)

Both of these books have a wealth of info on reloading for the mighty mousegun. Once you know what Glen knows, you will know what matters and what you can disregard. These books are well worth the money and time spent on them and they should be in every serious rifle reloader's library.

What info you find here (BE.com) on .223, filtered through what Glen says in his books and coupled with some good data manuals (Speer & Sierra are what I keep around) and you will have all the info you need to learn how to do this "properly".

It will take some experimentation to develop the techniqes correctly though ;)

I have used the Hornady 55gr FMJ with good results.I like AA 2230 powder and Win.primers.I just hope OSHA backs off on the ammo,powder,and primer proposals so we can still reload and shoot.

The bulk Hornady 55gr FMJBT is a good choice. In 1x 100% Scharch brass, my recipe is 27.5gr WW748 with OAL at 2.230"

As always, lower anyone else's data by 10% and work back up in "your" rifle.

WW748 and AA2520 are pretty similar under a 55gr'er. AA2230 runs a little faster and I would use a tad less of it. WW748 and AA2520 are more easily avalable for me so I don't bother with AA2230. AA2230 and WW748 will only work well under projectiles up to 69-70gr in weight. AA2520 will work under anything up to 80 grains safely.

The bulk Hornady 55gr FMJBT is a good choice. In 1x 100% Scharch brass, my recipe is 27.5gr WW748 with OAL at 2.230"

As always, lower anyone else's data by 10% and work back up in "your" rifle.

WW748 and AA2520 are pretty similar under a 55gr'er. AA2230 runs a little faster and I would use a tad less of it. WW748 and AA2520 are more easily avalable for me so I don't bother with AA2230. AA2230 and WW748 will only work well under projectiles up to 69-70gr in weight. AA2520 will work under anything up to 80 grains safely.

Another powder to have under 55's is H335. I personally think it's identical to W748, but who knows.

That said, since you're buying once fired brass, you probably don't need them trimmed and the pockets have been reamed. Just tumble them clean (if they're not clean), spray with some Dillon lube and start loading like anything else. It's really not that much different. I tumble when I'm done too though to get the lube off.

My happy recipe is straight from the Sierra manual. 69gr. SMK's with Varget.

Rich

Both of these books have a wealth of info on reloading for the mighty mousegun. Once you know what Glen knows, you will know what matters and what you can disregard. These books are well worth the money and time spent on them and they should be in every serious rifle reloader's library.

What info you find here (BE.com) on .223, filtered through what Glen says in his books and coupled with some good data manuals (Speer & Sierra are what I keep around) and you will have all the info you need to learn how to do this "properly".

GREAT ADVICE THAT I WILL TAKE!

• 4 weeks later...

I just received these two books. I have spent about an hour thumbing through each book and like what I see. The problem with many books I have thumbed through off the shelf is that many topics are touched on but not elaborated on leaving the reader to have more questions after reading a topic than before. This does not seem to be the case with these two so far. The information seems to be comprehensive, which is what I was looking for. The only downer was it took 3 weeks to get them, but they appear to be worth the wait.

Thanks George!