Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N320 vs. AA#2

NCShooter

I read in another thread here recently that AA#2 is not a good choice when trying to make major in 40 (due to pressure). The board members here normally suggest VV N320. According to the powder burn rate chart in the VihtaVuori loading manual N320 and AA#2 have practially the same burn rate.

Is AA#2 as suitable a powder as N320 for making major in 40?

Burning_Rate_Chart.pdf

I don't remember what issue of Front Sight it was in, but according to Guy Neill you can't really go buy a burn rate chart for developing loads. Just check it out before you try it. Good luck and be safe.

Edited by Jaxshooter

My experence is that AA2 is just a touch slower than 320. I dont know where the deal about it being unsafe in 40 started. I have shot a bunch of it. I wont tell you that its the best 40 powder, I think vv320 and tightgroup are both better, but its good enough.--------------Larry

The burn rate charts are not "scaled." That is, powders that are right next to each other may have burn rates that are within 1% of each other, and over 5% different.

They also may (and many do) have different peak efficient pressures. Combine that with differing responses to reaching or exceeding that peak (some go "flat" some get "spiky" and some turn "nuclear") and you have to change powders very carefully.

If the Benosverse hive mind has decided not to use a particular powder for some reason, ask. You may disagree with the reason, but the results are usually concrete.

• 2 weeks later...
I read in another thread here recently that AA#2 is not a good choice when trying to make major in 40 (due to pressure). The board members here normally suggest VV N320. According to the powder burn rate chart in the VihtaVuori loading manual N320 and AA#2 have practially the same burn rate.

Is AA#2 as suitable a powder as N320 for making major in 40?

Burning_Rate_Chart.pdf

I have been running aa#2 for a few years now shooting hard cast 200 grain bulletts, no issues with power factor, or pressure. The loads are VERY consistant and predictable.

Good Luck, be Safe & use a Chrono...