Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp Revo crimp Die

Danva

I have just started reloading for my 625 and the bullets will move forward in the case . I am using a RCBS taper crimp die.

People have recomended the Lee Factory crimp die but when I looked at them they are also a taper crimp.

Question:

Do I just keep tightening down on the taper die or does a roll crimp 45acp exist or does the factory crimp die work much better?

I am using Ranier Ballistics 230rn bullets

Thanks Revo people

Dan C

Welcome.

Yea they all pretty much do it. They actually will start with a fast reload. I've got dummy rounds that have pulled past a crimp groove using a roll crimp, but then it's been used for over a thousand practice reloads.

It doesn't seem to matter whether you use a .470 crimp or a .465 crimp. They still do it. I have evolved to the .466 just to help keep the edge from hanging up on an off reload and then I noticed that the accuracy seemed a bit better. So crimp 'em down, too much though can cut thru the copper plating. But I've not seen it on any of mine, even at .465.

I use the Dillon Crimp Die in my 550. Just cause the insert comes out for cleaning without removing the whole die.

Adding crimp only increases the problem, as a taper crimp has nothing to do with holding the bullet in place. Roll crimps don't do much IMHO either.

What brass are you using? Remington has never given me very good bullet tension.

I'd just use a "U" sizing die or avoid thin-walled brass, but I don't shoot revolvers so what do I know.

I do use RP cases in the .45 and currently have no trouble. Many years ago it was WW that would give problems with .38 Supers & RP with .45's. But that was 20 years ago.

I get the same pull out with Starline, or any other brass.

Hmmm, maybe I should do some more experimenting again???