Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide release falling out!

kimmie

At a recent match, I had what I thought was a jam. Couldn't rack the slide, couldn't drop the magazine. After a bit of pushing and pulling by myself and a couple of R.O's - the slide came off in my hand and the slide release hit the ground! O.k. - I had taken the gun apart right before the match to clean it, maybe I didn't put the slide release back in correctly seated - although I didn't think that was possible, and the stage was a one-hand weak/one-hand strong stage, so, maybe I pressed on the release from the opposite side and pushed it out with my finger. Any whooo - it happened again a week or so later - the slide release didn't come all the way out but I noticed it was on it's way, after shooting my 5 or 6 rounds. So I started thinking that now I've developed a new problem! Something wrong with my grip (although I thought it's been pretty much the same grip for the past 10 years!) and I'm putting too much pressure on the frame when I index between targets and am pushing the slide release out. So I've been trying to stay aware of my finger when I index between targets, etc. Well, today I did an intro shoot with a group of folks and one of the guys was shooting my gun. After 5 rounds, when he gave it back to me, lo and behold, the slide release was coming out. Happily, it's not me and my grip (I have enough to deal with, with old problems, never mind creating new ones!) But now I don't know what's going on.

I'm shooting a S&W 1911DK. I shoot factory 230grain .45's. I've replaced the barrel with a drop in Nowlan. I noticed last time I cleaned it, the barrel link pin is loose and falls out. And I've also noticed that after the slide locks open when the magazine is empty, and I drop the magazine, the slide will slam closed on it's own. I just switched to Wilson Combat 10round magazines as I was having a problem with jams (nosedives) with my Chip McCormick 10 rounders. I'm thinking it's a problem with the slide release itself. But the gun is kinda young to have worn it out and it doesn't look damaged. And I shot the gun for quite a few months without having this problem.

I'd appreciate any insight on this problem.

Thanks.

Donna

Sounds like the link needs to be replaced or a larger diameter slide stop. Take your slide release and barrel to a competent gunsmith. Tell him about your problem and have him inspect the pieces. A barrel link is a cheap and easy fix.

Buddy

The link pin isn't a big deal. If it isn't really losoe it can be staked, if it is really loose and oversized pin should be fitted.

The slide stop coming out, there is a little tab that should hold it inside the slide under normal circumstances, that is the little tab you have to line up with the half moon cut to get it out. The simple solution is to put a tiny detent in the slide stop to keep it from walking, it will use the plunger tip to hold it there.

On the Wilson mags, you might need to get the follower a little higher to get a reliable slide lock. On the CMC, you can just raise the tab on the follower.

Kimmie,

Are you by any chance Left-handed?

STI use to place fitted short blocks on their table for display. Everytime I picked one up and cycled it a time or two, the slide stop would fall out of the table. This was through no fault of the pistol. The frames did not have the slide stop plunger installed, I'm left-hand, and gravity is constant; the slide stop would fall out.

Homer Johnson locked his SV up in Corpus many year's ago because his thumb pushed on the pin at just the wrong moment. The slide stop started to come out and wedged with the slide.

Kenny

Kimmie,

Are you by any chance Left-handed?

STI use to place fitted short blocks on their table for display. Everytime I picked one up and cycled it a time or two, the slide stop would fall out of the table. This was through no fault of the pistol. The frames did not have the slide stop plunger installed, I'm left-hand, and gravity is constant; the slide stop would fall out.

Homer Johnson locked his SV up in Corpus many year's ago because his thumb pushed on the pin at just the wrong moment. The slide stop started to come out and wedged with the slide.

Kenny

No - I'm not a lefty - but what happened to Homer Johnson is exactly what I DON"T want to happen to me during a major match!!!!!! This is a brand new problem and I can't figure out what's different!

Concur with HSmith. A small detent placed right where the plunger hits, will help this. Before getting out the drill press, check your plunger tube, spring and plunger to make sure they are all good first.

Edited by want2race