Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Mainspring Housing

I picked up a open gun package (STI in 38 Super) not to long ago and i want to make some changes to it... I want to change out the mainspring housing, the one on the pistol has had a file on it to cut down on the checkering.. And I want to replace it with a housing that has sharp checkering... Can I use a something off of a 1911 or do I need to get something from STI???

I have done the search thingiey and have found info on how to set up the grip safety and things like that, BUT not a thing about swaping out M/S housings...

Any help guys??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I picked up a open gun package (STI in 38 Super) not to long ago and i want to make some changes to it... I want to change out the mainspring housing, the one on the pistol has had a file on it to cut down on the checkering.. And I want to replace it with a housing that has sharp checkering... Can I use a something off of a 1911 or do I need to get something from STI???

I have done the search thingiey and have found info on how to set up the grip safety and things like that, BUT not a thing about swaping out M/S housings...

Any help guys??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

You can use the MS housing from a 1911, but it won't have the right angle on the bottom (inside the magwell) so that it could interfere with reloads.

The polymer mainspring housing on my STI started letting the grip safety pop out when I'd hit it hard from surrender draws so I replaced it with an EGW unit that's very nice:

http://egw-guns.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=173

Pop out the pin holding the mag well and the mainspring housing will come right out. Compress the mainspring cap, pull the retaining pin and take out the mainspring along with the cone at the bottom and insert all those in the new MS housing and it'll go right back in the frame the way it came out.

Like Bart said, it will fit and function, but the angle inside of the magwell is wrong. The proper one is a ZM, you can get them from Dawson Precision. SV also makes one that is correct if you can find one in stock somewhere. I think the ZM from Dawson is around $50. The plastic stock piece works fine and is a lot cheaper. You can also grind down the one you have and put some skateboard tape on it.

The plastic stock piece works fine and is a lot cheaper. You can also grind down the one you have and put some skateboard tape on it.

Well the one thats on the gun now looks to be S/S.. but, like I said, it's also been worked over... BUT, the skateboard tape might just be the way to go... :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with using a 1911 MS housing. It will fit and function fine. I beveled the inside lip just a bit with a file. Does not interfere with reloads at all.

Sounds like you might be using a smaller magwell. With a Dawson ICE or similiar on the gun, using a standard MS housing leaves a big chunk sticking out into the magwell. I guess that on a perfect reload it won't make any difference. Regardless of function, to me, it looks like crap. Why have an expensive magwell with a smooth bevel all the way around only to have a hunk of MS housing sticking out?

Since you can get either kind of MS housing for about the same money, I can't imagine anything other than an emergency that would make someone put a 1911 MS housing in an S_I.

How about re-cutting/deepening the checkering in your existing MS housing. This could be easily done ... :cheers:

Venry, how much would something cost??? <_<<_<

Well, frankly, I don't think you want to spend the money it would cost to ship it or the labor involved in re-doing your checkering by a gunsmith ... but you could do it yourself, with a little patience. And, after all you don't have much to lose, since you say it is already thrashed.

Purchasing a multiple row checkering file might not be justifiable here, unless you want to keep it for future projects. You could use a good quality regular "needle" triangular file, and follow/deepen each row as you even it out. But this is only worthwhile if you like to do things youself. Otherwise for less than the price of a professional checkering file you can buy a new "shiny sharp" ZM mainspring housing.