Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber optic front site for CZ 85 pre B?

SLM

I'm new to shooting USPSA production division with my CZ-85 pre B and would really like to change to a fiber optic front site to try it out. Problem is, it's a staked site not a dovetail one. I'm sure I could have the slide milled but I'm a bit confused on the legality of doing such. In the Production rules (Appendix D4) rules 19 and 19.1 say no modification except "minor detailing" and 20.2 says about sites "... provided there installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun." The US Production Division rules (Appendix D9) don't seem to have the same restriction, especially with rule 21.5 stating "External modifications other than sites not allowed." Considering I'm shooting under USPSA rules, I think I'd be legal in sending it out to be milled for one of Angus Hobdell/CZ's fiber optic fronts and maybe even the rear competition site. Can someone please clear this up for me? I'd appreciate it! :)

The rules for 2008 and onward are being finalized at the moment ---- so I wouldn't have a slide milled until after they're released. It would suck to spend the money, and then discover that the gun will be unsuitable for production come January. That said ---- how much does milling save, vs. buying a "B" CZ, and keeping the non "B" as a backup?

That said ---- how much does milling save, vs. buying a "B" CZ, and keeping the non "B" as a backup?

Alot. New Cz-85B ~ $550.00 + action job from Miossi gun works to make the horrid CZ "B" triggers shootable ~ $300.00 + site ~ $40.00. I figure it would take ~ $900.00 bucks to get a new gun and get it decent enough to bother with. Not to mention the 18 month waiting list Jim has for an action job.

Or the ~ $60.00 for the site cut + ~ $40.00 for the site. I'm much more willing to spend ~ $100.00 bucks on this than $900.00 on a new one. Even adding the Angus rear would make it about a $150.00 project. I've got more than that in mag pouches and a belt! :surprise: Doing what I want to this one would be way more economical and leave alot of money to go toward an open gun, more reloading supplies, etc. Even adding in the ~ $300.00 I paid for this gun it's still alot cheaper to tinker with this one... To the tune of $450.00 bucks or so cheaper.

Might want to take a look at getting one direct from Matt Mink or Angus. You're paying way too much for a trigger job and 18 months is really not necessary. You can get an SP-01 fully tricked out for less than that and an 85 would be cheaper than that. I know you don't want to spend the money right now on a new gun but your options right now are: Get the sight cut done, it's legal now but who knows come January. Leave the gun alone and shoot it as is. Or get a newer gun, either to replace your current or as a backup. I'm always going to land on the side of buying the new gun. My wife hates it.

I thought about an SP-01 from Angus but that's still $850.00 + $30.00 for shipping and $20.00 transfer fee. Again, right at ~$900.00. I just can't do that. I think I'll take the "Leave the gun alone and shoot it as is." approach.

I was hoping that someone would know of a stake in FO front that would fit the CZ also. I couldn't find anything but the group here seems to know every trick and trick part known to man! :cheers:

No, it's the old style rounded ramp. I thought about that but figured it would still require a 'smith with a mill to hold the slide in a vice to drill it. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it by hand as there isn't a flat surface to get a bit started on. I could always sell a couple of my other guns to get a new SP-01 but I'm just no good at that. After I buy them, I keep them even if I don't shoot them. :blink:

Here's what the site looks like. This isn't my gun but it's the same.

post-10863-1182226759.jpg

Thanks for checking. I really appreciate it. I think I'll just leave it alone for now and see what the rules are for next year. Any idea when they'll be public?

You can hit the USPSA.org site and go to the Forums section. There's a pretty complete listing of the proposed rules and everyone's arguments for and against. I'm not sure when the final vote will be.

I was thinking too, if you didn't want to just waste a gun, you could buy a basic gun with the slide you want, put the new slide on your gun and use the frame for a CZ Cadet 22 conversion kit. Fun plinker and your putting the money to some use. If the rule goes your way and you can mill the slide for the front sight, you can just put your old topends back on the guns and have a back up gun for big matches.

I was thinking too, if you didn't want to just waste a gun, you could buy a basic gun with the slide you want, put the new slide on your gun and use the frame for a CZ Cadet 22 conversion kit. Fun plinker and your putting the money to some use. If the rule goes your way and you can mill the slide for the front sight, you can just put your old topends back on the guns and have a back up gun for big matches.

Kind of thought of that. I do have another CZ gun but it's a 75B SA (single action) gun so it has the firing pin stop safety and the 85 is a pre-B without the FPS. They aren't directly interchangeable unfortunately and I'm not sure what would have to be done to the "B" slide to use it on a pre-B frame. If it was an easy thing to do, I'd think alot of people would be doing it as the pre-B guns generally have much better triggers and have a shorter trigger reset than the "B" guns do. But now my brain is going on this idea. I'm going to look into it more. Thanks for the idea! :cheers: