Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop Turners That Don't Drop (because the shooter missed)

hondotbt

Sad to report that I am DTT...you'll understand after reading this email from one of my squadmates:

VA/MD section match. opening a door activates a drop turner, which activates real fast. DTT (drop-turner taylor) opens the door from a bad position. by the time he gets into the correct position to shoot the DT, it's already turned, completely. he argues with the RO (me) for a few seconds...perhaps 10...then finally finishes his shooting. we have a good laugh at DTT's expense, and discuss his propensity for mental errors and he assures us he is going to reduce them.

fast forward 8 days...yes, just a mere 8 days...to yesterday's york match. last stage of a pretty ragged day for all of us (lots of mikes, no-shoots and various other mistakes). this stage happens to have a DT at the end of the stage. a good run here will be 9-13 seconds total. at the end where the DT is, we have an activator steel, another steel next to it, the DT, and 2 other paper targets. the shooting should go like this...paper, activator steel, other steel, DT, paper. DTT runs it like this:

paper (good job so far)...miss the activator...other steel...blank stare at DT...looks over should at RO (i recognize the look on his face from last week)...looks back at DT...looks over shoulder at RO and speaks the immortal words IT DIDN'T ACTIVATE ...ignores RO as he tells him to shoot the steel...looks back at DT....looks back over shoulder again at RO...IT DIDN'T ACTIVATE...by now jeff has joined the fray and points out the huge popper that is still standing 23 feet in front of DTT...DTT finally sees that the activator steel is still standing...DTT shoots the activator steel...16 seconds after his previous shot...steel falls....DTT now stares blankly at the turning DT target...managing to get off ZERO shots...DTT begins to UASC...mr. RO asks DTT if he is going to shoot the last paper target which has not yet been engaged...DTT holsters his gun instead...as half the squad rolls on the ground in hysterical laughter.

the legend of DROP-TURNER TAYLOR is revealed....

well, we had a stage with about an 8 foot baricade parallell to the firing line, left side couple papers and a stee, right side the same, the left steel operated a right clamshell, and right steel left clamshell, so the right way is go left shoot run right shoot then run back to left and shoot final clamshell, well I go left shoot the steel and the left clamshell doesnt activate (It's activated by right steel) so I stop "Hey range malfunction" RO looks at me says with a very infasized "IF" "you are done unload and show clear" the little light went on and I finished the stage. But what makes the story really bad is that I BUILT THE STAGE !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...