Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forcing cone angle

Gregg K

Does anyone know what the angle of the forcing cone is on the newer S&W's, specifically a 625-8?

Brownell's told me that the older ones were 9 1/2° but he didn't know about the newer guns.

I'm trying to figure out what cutter and lap to clean up the rough cut on my gun. Thanks!

Don't know, but if you have a rough one and want to clean it up.

Cheap way, use JB Bore Lapping Compound and a Lee Lead Remover Forcing Cone Plug and lap it out (or maybe just a tapered felt polishing pad).

Or:

Brownells sells the Clymer Taylor Throat Kit. It actually recuts the forcing cone to a more gradual taper and doesn't require removing the barrel.

I did my PC 625 and it increased velocity 20 f/s, or so, and helped with flyers. I did a M29 and it helped slightly with flyers (didn't have many to begin with) and increased velocity a bit.

Was it worth the money, since I like to play with this stuff to me it was. Actual benefits probably not great.

Just be careful to not go too far with a reamer, or you may have to set the barrel back. It would take a pretty big boo, boo to require that, but it can happen.