Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition & Split

JThompson

Was every shop teacher missing a digit?

I just completed year 30 of teaching woods and welding. FWIW, I have never had a lost time accident and neither have any of my students. FWIW, I have slammed a digit or two in a door. :lol:

Was every shop teacher missing a digit?

I just completed year 30 of teaching woods and welding. FWIW, I have never had a lost time accident and neither have any of my students. FWIW, I have slammed a digit or two in a door. :lol:

Glad you made it with all digits intact. :P

JT

Those times seem very disparate, you're like a bodybuilder who has never worked his legs. Burkett's drills will help you improve those transitions, they should be the same as your splits on targets that close.

An interesting drill I did recently was to line up on a target, and at the beep fire one shot then transition and fire one shot, to eliminate variables. I also kept moving the targets farther apart. The revelation of the day was that I can transition ~140 degrees in .25, which is about as fast as I can split on a target in a match situation. This was on targets that were only about 7 yards from my position, but on opposite sides of the range.

H.

Those times seem very disparate, you're like a bodybuilder who has never worked his legs. Burkett's drills will help you improve those transitions, they should be the same as your splits on targets that close.

An interesting drill I did recently was to line up on a target, and at the beep fire one shot then transition and fire one shot, to eliminate variables. I also kept moving the targets farther apart. The revelation of the day was that I can transition ~140 degrees in .25, which is about as fast as I can split on a target in a match situation. This was on targets that were only about 7 yards from my position, but on opposite sides of the range.

H.

I'm working on it H. You must remember that I just started my journey... The fast splits and just a natural ability. I have to work at the rest.

I worked some on them yesterday, busted finger and all and was getting them down to .25-30, but I need to get that consistent with an A. I was shooting A-C. My average with calling the shot is still .4, so there is a lot of work to be done. Give me two weeks and I'll post some new times for splits. ;)

I don't know if I can make them the same as a .09 split, but I'll do what I can. Up until a month ago, I had no reason to transition. I was simply a plinker. Also, I hadn't shot anything in over 5 years... closer to 8. I'm not making excuses, just filling you in on the details.

Edited by JThompson

Sounds good, you blindsided everyone withthe .09 splits, that's about as fast as humanly possible (I believe the cycle time for most pistols is around .07) so the .8 transitions looked strange. A bit of practice and you'll isolate the platform from the trigger, the C hits should go away.

H.

Sounds good, you blindsided everyone withthe .09 splits, that's about as fast as humanly possible (I believe the cycle time for most pistols is around .07) so the .8 transitions looked strange. A bit of practice and you'll isolate the platform from the trigger, the C hits should go away.

H.

The funny thing was I am so new I didn't know that there was anything out of the ordinary. I saw where someone posted some teens and I remembered that mine where there and lower. I looked at the use and found out he had some made skills and figured out that this wasn't comon. I will most likely be shooting around .12-15 because it's just too damn hard to call a shot faster than that. Maybe someday I will be able to call it that fast, but when I do it now it's mostly by feel with a hint of something as to where the dot is. A .09 better than someone else doesn't mean much when you are dropping time in trans ,reloads, and movement. I will not be working splits. ;)

I made a few drills based on why I think the splits are fast... It has to do with something I did when I was a child. If the drills improve a friend of mine I will share them here. So far he was shooting .25-30 and is shooting .22-.28 but that could be a fluke. If they can lay down those times, and lower, over a couple week period I may have something for you. I'll let you know... if it works it's the least I can do for all the great info I get here.

Edited by JThompson