Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement for LSWC

lgbmike

I use a 200gr LSWC over Vit N320 and really like it. Now I want to get away from lead exposure completely. Recomendations please. Poly coated black bullets, plated, jacketed or what.

I really like the present combo so 230's need not apply.

Thanks,

Michael

Try the plated bulets, either Berry's or Rainier. In 45 AP I have tried the Berry's 185 gr. HBRN and Rainier 185 gr. FP, 200 gr. RN & SWC, and 230 gr. RN. Of these bullets the Rainier 200 gr SWC was the most accurate but did not match the long rage (50 yard)accuracy of the 185 gr. Star LSWCHP. For IDPA and IPSC type shoots as well as plates and pins I have obtained excellent overall performance from either the Berry's 185 gr. HBRN or Rainier 230 gr. RN.

I don't have experience with N320 but with Clays the Berry's 200grain SWC were pretty accurate out of my 5" Kimber. But, they were just barely making major with 4.3 grains. Just this weekend I worked up a load on the chrony with Bear Creek 200 grain SWC. With Clays, 4.3 grains gave me a 10 shot average of 833 but the extreme spread is, well, a little extreme at 47.6fps. The accuracy is not nearly what I was hoping for either. However, I'm crimping to 0.470"...do ya'll think that backing off the crimp a little might help out the accuracy? I'm also going to bump up to 4.4 grains and see if I can get a little bit better margin on the power factor....

trodrig