Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 686

Dennis Sherman

Well,

The pic included is my whack at making the trigger lighter. I did not opt to remove all that I could as I wanted to keep the inside as clean as possible. I have the Black majik kit from Vic and am using the longer of the return springs. Since there is a shortage of Federal primers I am forced to use Win. We will see how that works out.

post-5118-1179516157.jpg

Nice. You might want to remove some more metal at the "top". The backside of where it contacts the firing pin. The farther you are from the pivot, the more effect your lightening has. Tom

Well,

The pic included is my whack at making the trigger lighter. I did not opt to remove all that I could as I wanted to keep the inside as clean as possible. I have the Black majik kit from Vic and am using the longer of the return springs. Since there is a shortage of Federal primers I am forced to use Win. We will see how that works out.

How far are you from Rochester? If close, send me a PM (Primer info)

Gary

That occured to me after I put it back together,lol

Do you shoot it single action at all? If not, cut the spur off.

I will give that some work as well.

Thanks

Nice. You might want to remove some more metal at the "top". The backside of where it contacts the firing pin. The farther you are from the pivot, the more effect your lightening has. Tom

I got a chance to test fire the thing tonight. I used the Black majik kit as earlier mentioned. In past times when I used the Wolf Kit and the Wilson combat kit, I had many failures to fire when not using Federal primers. I did not have any failures today with the Black majik kit, even using some factory speer ammo, factory Winchester and several others. However, in the past my hammer was not as light as it is now after being ground on. I also noticed very hard, deep primer hits. Good proof that lightining the hammer makes the job complete. I have yet to measure the trigger pull, but it is a lot lighter feeling than the factory was.

Hey thanks. I quicly learned that some work on the strain screw will be needed. My friend who is much more of a revolver shooter than I was thumbing the trigger saying "oh my". So I will back it out as far as it is reliable, then measure the difference and file off the screw. I own some pretty decent auto's, but they all take a back seat to my revolver.

Looks pretty sweet, Dennis!