Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip Cleaner

phara

Found this on shooters.com:

"I found another great use for Ed'd Red. I'm sure like me, after you unload all your moon clips, you are left with stained, messy moon clips and don't look forward to scrubbing them with solvent and oiling them. I found 2 bags full of 1/3 and full moon clips that had been unloaded but not cleaned in 3 years! The grunge was caked and fused on the clips as if it were baked on. Hoppes would not get it off. In desperation, I threw them all into a small jar, poured in Ed's Red and after sealing it, I made them "shaken, not stirred." Set them down and went to bed. This afternoon after washing 4 cars, I settled into my gun keeping chores. I fished the clips out on news paper, wiped them with a rag an ER dampened rag and the clips came out looking new. I was amazed that this stuff worked so well on these dirty moon clips so well. The jar of ER had a nice sediment of black stuff in the bottom, so it really did a great job."

Just a tip for my fellow moon clip wheel gunners.

The Virginian"

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am new at revolvers and just got a 686.. how do you clean the front of the cylinder where it gets all black from powder burn?

Leroy

ps where are you in va.. Lynchburg area here.

Leroy,

I use a brass brush and Kroil when it get so bad that I can't stand it. When you use a brass brush to do this, leave the yoke in the cylinder. The bristles break off the brush and fly everywhere.

Brass brush bristles do bad things inside of the cylinder and leaving the yoke in prevents this from happening.

I also tumble my moon clips, works great.

Leroy,

Get a piece of 3" pvc pipe, cut it about 6-8"long, put a cap on the bottom and a screw off cap on the top. Fill it half full of Hoppes #9. When you are finished shooting your revolver, take the cylinder out and let it soak for as long as you can. The longer the better. When you take it out, all the powder just wipes right off.

TBF,

Do you mean Kroil? Kroil is a very thin industrial penetrating oil /rust removal etc. Got this from the rifle guys.

It's the only cleaner I use anymore when I clean. And it's cheap.

Doesn't stink and works really well. Cleaning supplies in my box are Q-tips, patches. That's it!!! Have not run a brush through a bore in a long time.

Works decent on comps if you let it sit and use a few Q-tips each time you shoot. I shoot N350 so I let it soak each time. (a disconnector scraper works on the really bad buildup)

JB Bore paste and Kroil is good for rifle bbls too. Gets the copper out.