Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Checking in from Iowa.

Doomd

Hello,

I thought I would check in right away, after reading a post from a registrant who indicated he had registered sometime in 2005, but had just been reading until his very recent post. It made me laugh, and then think.

I purchased my first pistol a week or so ago, it's an XD .45 acp tactical. I have been to the range twice, and plan on going many more times. I also intend to buy a S&W 686, and maybe a S&W .460 magnum. Beyond that, I will probably buy a .308 rifle. All in good time mind you.

However, my next purchase will be the 550b Dillion (w/o casefeeder, thanks for the very good information and order site Brian). Even this is a month or three off, so I will read until then.

Intermixed in all of this is a curiousity about the sports involving my pistol. I have read a bit, and I believe the XD is classified as modified, but this is similar to me telling my mother about quadratic equations. The difference being, I have an interest in the topic I currently do not understand. I am not sure about the different competitions, levels, or side-arm classifications, but I hope to read up here and find out more.

My exhuberance and proclivity to volumously communicate can grate on nerves, so I am going to make a great effort to mostly read from this forum, for now. I'll save my non-stupid questions for when I know more about what I don't understand.

Welcome to the forums, Doomd.

It might help if we knew where you're located, in terms of getting you together with some folks who can assist with these early steps in your journey. What city/state are you in?

...Mark

Oh, I am in Coralville, Iowa. It's not the most pistol, or any gun, friendliest place to live. Still, somehow, I go on. B)

Iowa, currently, is an oddball state. Each of our 99 county sheriffs decide whether their county will even issue permits to buy or not, let alone permits to carry. And I've noticed even seeming proponents can be a bit sticky on the issue. I'll stick to home defense and target for now, I think, though I'm registered in a "friendly" county. Anyway, loading should make shooting a bit more frequent and fun.

Oh, I've been looking at IDPA. Is it a spectator sport at all? It might be good to see what it is and get a feel for how it is done. From this site, I found a link to IDPA's site and have scratched off a proposed mod for my XD until I decide, as ghostrings aren't allowed. There is a lot there and here, and I have been reading, but I haven't found if spectators are allowed.

Gee, I do prattle. Don't worry, in real life I am worse. :blink:

Welcome to the group, just joined recently myself, there are a bunch of good people here. Get the 686 and join the round gun effort it's way more fun than the auto. :P But that's JMHO.

Scott

Just getting started myself out of the QC, Iowa area. Interested mainly in IPSC shoots. I know there is a club in Cedar Rapids and across the river from me in Milan, IL. If ever interested in getting together to go to one as a 2 new guys PM me. Not much for IDPA in this area that I have researched. If somebody knows different let us know.

Yes, I would definitely be interested. I wrote a PM (or was it an email? *scratches head* dunno) to you, but sometimes those aren't seen and I might have done that wrong. I would definitely be interested in attending a match, either local or official with you. The two closest would be Osceola (link http://www.ioweb.com/oops/ ) and Waterloo (link http://www.blackhawkpistol.org/ ) for the big meets.

I visited a gent yesterday who showed me the 550b and how it operates and talked about the competitions. He indicated that there are actually quite a few IDPA matches around, if I remember correctly. It sounded like when you get into it, when people know you and visa versa, you will find them plentiful. I think, it had been a long day.

He invited me to go this weekend, but I can't go. However, I asked about going in the future. I also asked if he would mind if I brought you as well (I thought I had been a bit too plucky asking that later, when I thought about it, but it's too late now). He thought that would be ok. So, if you are still interested, let me know. By the way, I will just be going to watch the first time or two. I know I want a good deal more range time, some training, and maybe even to find some drills for range time.

Edited by Doomd

vettman1,

I'm not quite ready for competition. But I am thinking I could be there to watch. I haven't even seen a competition, so I don't think starting up blind would be wise. I figure competition will probably crush my ego whenever I start, but this might be a disaster, ha! As well, money is rather tightly allocated for the next several months to about 4 "hobbies", including reloading and just getting the basic gear for carry. As is, eating is going to be tricky:)

Out of curiousity, did you begin competitions cold turkey? How did you get into it? And, is the stock XD .45acp tactical used sucessfully in competitions?

Doomd,

You have come to the right place! This is the b-e-s-t best place on earth for learning to shoot better.

You're on the right track for watching a match or two first before competing. You need to be absolutely confident in your ability to draw and fire the gun safely under the mental pressure of a match environment before you attempt it.

You might consider taking your gun to a match you go to and asking the match director (he'll be the guy pulling his hair out) if you can try an UNTIMED run on a simple stage to get a feel for it. Most MDs will accomomodate this, especially if you donate some elbow grease to the tear-down process after the match.

Your gun is fine as is for now. Please do not modify it in any way until you know more about the sports and/or divisions that interest you.

In general, you can do a simple trigger job and sight change (to similar post/notch configurations) and be legal in most divisions, but I don't know enough about IDPA to say that for sure.

I would recommend that you learn to fire an accurate shot on demand before you do anything else. Once you can do this, you could begin to incorporate a draw into your skills.

the BEST thing you can do is make friends with an established competitor. You're going to hear and read so many different opinions about this stuff that you need to have ONE trusted individual to guide you until you can draw some conclusions of your own.

the other best thing you could do is to read these forums until your eyes bleed. Every question you have about competition shooting has been beaten like a bad dog on this forum and you can search yourself silly learning about everything from gear to the mental game.

Now get started!

Steve

Doomd,

I did start out cold turkey. I just showed up after seeing a BHPC booth at a gun show. The guys at my club took me under their wing and taught me the finer points of USPSA shooting. I was hooked from the start!

Steve is right. Bring what you have (XD .45) and learn to shoot with that. Build on your skills from there and ask a bunch of questions of the guys you're shooting with. This can save you a TON of money. Most will let you shoot their gun if you ask.

Just remember, be safe and listen to the guys that have been around the block.

vettman1,

I'm not quite ready for competition. But I am thinking I could be there to watch. I haven't even seen a competition, so I don't think starting up blind would be wise. I figure competition will probably crush my ego whenever I start, but this might be a disaster, ha! As well, money is rather tightly allocated for the next several months to about 4 "hobbies", including reloading and just getting the basic gear for carry. As is, eating is going to be tricky:)

Out of curiousity, did you begin competitions cold turkey? How did you get into it? And, is the stock XD .45acp tactical used sucessfully in competitions?

• 2 weeks later...

Doomd, PM me and we'll go to the range. :cheers: I live in CR and work in Coralville, and I often stop off at the Greencastle range on my way to or from work. I'm a member of the nearest USPSA club to you, Cedar Rapids Area Practical Shooters (CRAPS), and if you want, I'll have a practice session with you before (or after) you go to a match. I'm just a lowly C class shooter, so I won't be too intimidating. I've also started going to an IDPA match in Mechanicsville which is a hell of a lot of fun and a little less intimidating than CRAPS because the playing field is a little more level.

It's easy to be apprehensive, but I promise you everyone else, even the Grand Masters, were once just as wet behind the ears as you. You may also want to invest in some mags. At least 4 total, and you can never have enough. If that's not quite feasible, I have a Glock 35 with a full setup that you can borrow.

I haven't been to a BHPC match yet, but I've shot lots of other matches with their members and they're a good bunch. There's also Linn County IDPA, but their matches aren't very regular yet. Some of the Black Hawk guys are also starting an IDPA club in Waterloo.

Mechanicsville IDPA is 1st Sunday of every month.

BHPC is 2nd Sunday of every month.

CRAPS is 3rd Sunday of every month.

These matches are also a great way of building a network of shooting buddies and a great resource for used guns and shooting accessories. I just got a great deal on 500 Berry's bullets from one of the Black Hawk guys at the Mechanicsville match last Sunday. :D

Doomd, you should try to make the BHPC match, it was my first shoot a few months ago. The guys there are great (helpful and informative). It can't hurt to check it out, it will be a good time by all.

Rick Dahly